Removing Rem 700 Trigger Pins

bill123

I've removed these on 700 clones w/o a problem but on this new Remington 700 action that I have, the front pin hole is blocked by the bolt stop. I mean really blocked (see photo). There is less than 1/32 of the pin visible. I tried removing the rear pin enough to release the bolt stop to see if there is any play and there isnt.

Also, there is a hole in the front portion of the bolt stop. It doesn't seem to have a purpose but if it were a bit farther forward, it would expose the front pin. Was this hole drilled incorrectly?

Finally, in the old 700 diagram that I have, the front pin is called the sear pin and the rear pin is called the bolt stop pin. Are those names still used or am I looking at a really old diagram?

Thanks,
Bill

Attachments

• IMG_3138.jpeg
    IMG_3138.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 827
  • IMG_3139.jpeg
    IMG_3139.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 725
Take the pin in the rear out first. Make sure the safty is not in the way. Tap the rear pin in 1/4 inch and remove the bolt stop and spring. Then you can reach the front pin. I Always take the rest pin out completely and rotate the trigger and seat out of the action and put the pin back in the trigger to hold the sear and sear spring together. Then I take out the front pin. Before you take out the punch pin h the top and bottom of trigger in your fingers to hold the sear in place. Remove punch and trigger and take front pin and put it back in trigger to hold sear in place. Once both pins are in the top sear is captive as is the spring inside. Don't forget to make sure safty is out of way from rear pin. The pin can break off your safty.
Good luck.
Shep

If you plan to put it back in make a couple of slave pins to hold the sear and spring in place. Making them from round toothpicks works if you have nothing better. The last one I removed I sent to Neil Jones who was going to disassemble it anyway.

It came back looking like this.

FwgKi7T.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.