Price of Rem 700 action/rifle

jcvibby

Non-Profit Sponsor
Hello, does anyone know what a remington model 700 in new or slightly used condition would go for. Would forums and pawn shop be my best bet if I am going to get the action trued and blueprinted anyway. I only want the action but it might be cheaper to buy a gently used rifle and take the action out of it.... Right???

I purchase my 700 Rem rifles (actions) from Walmart, paid $ 346.00 otd about 3 months ago.
Had to go to several different stores before I found one that had both long & short actions for $ 325.00. (a SA youth in 243 & a LA in 30-06) I sold the take-off barrels & stocks for a few bucks to help defray my building costs.
I ended up with the actions costing me about $ 300.00 each.
So far in my area( Colorado),its been cheaper to buy a new 700 Rem than to buy just an action or from a pawn shop.
Hope this helps some.

I'll echo wtk60...the last couple rifle I've bought have been Rem700 SPS. They can be had for around $500 and sometimes you're lucky and get a shooter right out of the box.

Last edited:
Yeah, I am building a 6.5-284. I am left handed so I would need a 30/06 in left hand bolt. I found one for $550. It is a BDL and fairly nice, but again all I need is the action.

for that price i would save a little more maybe get a stiller predator action instead or look for new and sell the barrel and stock.

I am also a Lefty and it seems like that if you find a used gun you pay almost as much as a new one. And if you are paying a smith to time and true everything for you anyway you will come out to about the same money as buying a custom action to begin with that has all of that already done. I built a custom on a pawn shop action once and after I did the math and figured in time it was actually less of a headache to buy a custom action. So my next one was built on a stainless Nesika action and I couldn't be happier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.