Through barrel flush cutting fluid

jrock

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
Wonder what cutting fluid people are using for through barrel flush systems?

I'm currently using a high concentration water based fluid as it seems to cut better dimensionally. Maybe it's my technique more than the fluid. PT&G recommends a petroleum based fluid for better reamer life. Anyone experience shorter reamer life when using a water based fluid?

I run Oatey/Ridgid dark through mine, cut with a little ATF.
Dave Tooley runs this stuff- I may give it a try, though I'm fine with the results using dark sulfurized cutting oil.

If you like the results you're getting, why switch? Reamers are like barrels, like tires on a truck, right?
I just don't see cost at $150/reamer, getting 15-20 (or more) chambers being a limiting factor.

^^^
Yep, that's usually my philosophy.
That said, in this discipline, we're always looking for ways to tweak our methods/procedures in pursuit of the best job we can possibly do. I'm guilty of getting too far into the weeds on a lot of things myself...

At the end of the day, I tell myself that if it doesn't translate to an improvement at the target it's usually irrelevant.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.