Torque Value on a 1992 McMillan Fiberglass Stock, (No pillars)

dsw

Guys,

I have a 1992 Weatherby Fibermark in a 300 Wby Mag. I began wondering what torque value this stock should be set at when I later purchased an Weatherby Accumark and the enclosed domcumentation's recommended value was 65 in/lbs.

I called Weatherby customer support as well as sending an email to McMillan. No response from McMillan after 2 weeks, but I did get through to a Weatherby rep. He said it shouldn't be nowhere near 65 in/lbs., but couldn't give me a torques value. (What feels snug.) That answer sucked, but I knew there was no use continuing the conversation.

Has anyone experimented with the torque value on one of the early fiberglass stocks? The Fibermark has a #2 contour and I start with MOA, but begins stringing after the first 3 shots heat the barrel up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I do have a Seekonk variable torque wrench. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

DSW

I suggest starting at 45 in/pounds. I was tightening a McMillan stocked Rem. 700 to 65 and was not happy with the accuracy even tho the stock was bedded. Went to 45 and the rifle shoots great. I expect that 65 is the optimum for the big tactical stocks with pillars, plus it happens to be the same torque value suggested for the side nuts on Badgers and MK4 rings. Might be why 65 is suggested so commonly.

Thanks Ian! I'll start with 45 in/lbs. as you suggest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DSW

I am sorry you didn't get a response form McMillan. That is not normally how we work. As was suggested you would be well served to start at 45 in lbs, with no need to exceed 55. The material in stock is strong enough that you don't need to worry about crushing the receiver area.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.