Tools for quartering elk

This guy makes it look too easy, probably stretches the joint out a bit by hanging it. I seem to find the joint similar to a U joint with the vertebrae overlapping a bit making a little harder to cut thru without twisting and turning. I believe the joint at the base of the skull is called the atlas joint.

This is the way for sure. Hanging is always is easier. For us mountain goats that have to break the animal down in the field, this is still possible, just more of a wrestling match with sharp knife.

I don't think k you even need anything. It a sharp knife. I use the gutless method and put the quarters in caribou game bags. So far the best I have used. You don't have to pack out hide. It's so easy. And doesn't take more time. Just a thought. I know that's not what you asked. I have cut through bone before. And I use a Wyoming saw. But I haven't in 20+ years.

I don't think k you even need anything. It a sharp knife. I use the gutless method and put the quarters in caribou game bags. So far the best I have used. You don't have to pack out hide. It's so easy. And doesn't take more time. Just a thought. I know that's not what you asked. I have cut through bone before. And I use a Wyoming saw. But I haven't in 20+ years.

Exactly…..hence my previous post (#57)! 😉 memtb

What's the best hand tool for cutting through elk bones? A buddy of mine says he likes a Sawzall but I'm looking for something light to carry with me. I've used the little Gerber and Browning hand saws but they leave a little to be desired on whitetail, not sure how they'd handle the heavier bones animals.
Wyoming saw! Comes with 2 blades, a bone blade and a wood blade. Breaks down into 3 pieces plus the blades and fits into a small case. Carried and used one on Many elk for years. Love it.