Too much gun?!?!

My nephew in PA shoots groundhogs with his 300 WM. Usually just a fine mist left. Never too much gun for varmints.

Shot placement, bullet design and velocity make a difference in the end results. I have shot coyote at 50 feet with a bullet design that normally would open up and make a mess of them, but it was placed where it didn't hit large bone structures and was traveling at a fast enough speed that it didn't open up before it passed through the coyote. Using the same style of bullet at 200 yards loaded the same as in the first example hit one in the shoulder it made a mess of the coyote. Both examples were using Speer 55 grain spire point bullets fired from a 22-250 with a 22 inch 1 in 14 twist rate, using 33.5 grains of IMR 4320 powder so they should have started out at close to 3500 FPS MV. I have also seen coyotes shot with 7MM rem. magnums and 30 caliber rifles that were a mess but some also with the same loads and calibers that only had small entrance and exit holes. Again, it was due to shot placement and the distance to the animal so that the velocity of the bullet made a difference in how the bullet performed. I routinely shoot coyotes with Sierra 55 grain hollow point boat tail bullets in a 223, with a 20-inch barrel that has a 1 in 12 twist loaded with 21.5 grains of H335 running at 2900 FPS MV normally the bullets fragment inside of the animal and have no exit hole. But if the animal is hit in the wrong place or at extreme distances the bullet doesn't perform as it should and will make a mess of things.

Actually nice to see the rapid expansion of the A-tip on such a small animal!!
And don't anyone forget.....ATIP's ARE NOT FOR HUNTING, ATIP'S DO NOT EXPAND! ELD-M's are not for hunting....
Nice job to your son...well placed! Next time give him a bow and arrow...with a C4 Broadhead...might be more left!

I shot 2 with a300WSM with Berger 168 classic hunters. the first was a pass thru with a moderate exit maybe 1 1/2" the second was facing me it ripped on leg clean off. he ran in to the brushes swamp bottom and died I Imagin

Not too much gun just the wrong bullet if you had shot it with a fmj it would have a neat exit hole. I would probably have run off, but with a neat hole
Any 300 bullet that hits the shoulder blade of such a small critter can do extensive exit damage, including FMJ's…. Using big bullets on little critters gives no meaningful feedback as to how the bullet will perform on deer size game. Good shot 👍

I once, as a kid, had "almost not enough" gun on a coyote. I was out on my dirt bike, hunting rabbits and rattlesnakes. Had a 22 rifle slung on. I was riding cross country, and came across two coyotes. I took off after them. They split up, and I stayed on the one with a rabbit in his mouth. He soon dropped it! I would ride up on him, right until I thought he was going to bite me, then I would slam on the brakes, grab the rifle, and start hosing wildly. After two revolutions of this, I thought to myself, "You know, it doesn't matter if he gets 3 or 4 steps farther away, if you just calm down and hit him!!"

So I calmed down and the next time, just as I was about to squeeze off the shot, he jumped a drainage ditch onto a road. I thought "Ok, when he jumps the next ditch, I'll shoot". I did, and he died in the air!! The shot went in under his mouth, and out through the top of his head! It was a wild shot that I'll never be able to repeat. I tanned the tail, and gave it to my brother for his bicycle.

This was 50 years ago, not far from Pearce-Sunsites, in southeast Arizona. May I ask where you nailed yours?

Vettepilot

I once, as a kid, had "almost not enough" gun on a coyote. I was out on my dirt bike, hunting rabbits and rattlesnakes. Had a 22 rifle slung on. I was riding cross country, and came across two coyotes. I took off after them. They split up, and I stayed on the one with a rabbit in his mouth. He soon dropped it! I would ride up on him, right until I thought he was going to bite me, then I would slam on the brakes, grab the rifle, and start hosing wildly. After two revolutions of this, I thought to myself, "You know, it doesn't matter if he gets 3 or 4 steps farther away, if you just calm down and hit him!!"

So I calmed down and the next time, just as I was about to squeeze off the shot, he jumped a drainage ditch onto a road. I thought "Ok, when he jumps the next ditch, I'll shoot". I did, and he died in the air!! The shot went in under his mouth, and out through the top of his head! It was a wild shot that I'll never be able to repeat. I tanned the tail, and gave it to my brother for his bicycle.

This was 50 years ago, not far from Pearce-Sunsites, in southeast Arizona. May I ask where you nailed yours?

Vettepilot

Great story, thank you for sharing.

Vettepilot
Near Nogales, AZ.