6.5 PRC too much gun for coyotes?

I used a 223 with 55 Sieara BTHP for fur and any other cal. for predator control .It just depends on how messy you want it to be . The 55 grns didn't exit they just went stiff legged and tipped over. If you use a bullet that doesn't expand much even 308 cal does a nice job for fur you may spent a little time looking for then though.

Amen about the fur. If you are not using or selling the hides, it doesn't matter what you shoot them with. And it is really good practice for hunting situations. I shot a coyote with my 7mm STW and although it wasn't explosive, I was treated to an impressive fur/hair shower due to it blown off the offside by the hydraulic shock.

Depends... do you just want the critter dead or do you have some use for hide? If not saving then hide, any old cannon will work. I've used my .338 WM on bunnies so I'm guessing that'll explain my position pretty well!
Cheers,
crkckr

Shot one at 647yd with 135 gr classic hunter from Berger and the fur buyer refused to take him. Shot the rest of them with 204 32gr vmax and the 223 from AR at night with 50 gr Vmax and we got top dollar for almost all the rest of our coyotes

Can't use too much gun for coyotes...here's one with a 300 gr. Berger out of a 338 edge.

And if you want to flip them up in the air like a prairie dog a 375 RUM +P with 329 gr Hammer hunter does pretty well.

Attachments

• image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 674
  • !cid_9E78BA54-A691-47B9-96F2-1CE3313DC446.jpg
    !cid_9E78BA54-A691-47B9-96F2-1CE3313DC446.jpg
    486.4 KB · Views: 548
I've shot a few fox and coyotes with a 260 ai. Fox and coyotes are ruined with 140 Bergers and amax, but the 95 vmax wasn't bad. It is really important to hit them in the shoulders or head, or straight on. Anything that goes through will be a toss up. A few we're ok, more than a few we're not. I am saving the rest of my bullets for late season when the fur is rubbed bad, and using a at for prime fur time.

I've shot a few fox and coyotes with a 260 ai. Fox and coyotes are ruined with 140 Bergers and amax, but the 95 vmax wasn't bad. It is really important to hit them in the shoulders or head, or straight on. Anything that goes through will be a toss up. A few we're ok, more than a few we're not. I am saving the rest of my bullets for late season when the fur is rubbed bad, and using an AR for prime fur time.

jmcmath, yeah the 147 ELD-Ms are what I'd shoot in that 6.5 PRC. Heh, heh, I huess they do open up a bit even on varmints where I'd-a thunk they'd passed right thru.

cf, wellll... our ski area (Lee Canyon, NW of Las Vegas) only uses 105 mm rounds on avalanches so yeah, I guess that would do as well.
I'm of two minds regarding coyote pelts.
1. I can shoot summer coyotes and dump them in the trash (and sleep at night). They kill a lot of pets in the 'Vegas area.
2. I would like to sell some winter pelts to at least say I have a reason to shoot 'em.

Eric B.

OOS right now but copper creek loads a 127 Barnes lrx in 6.5 prc.

That's your best option for pelt recovery in loaded ammo IMO

jmcmath
OK, Copper Creek W/ 6.5 Barnes 127 gr. LRX solid copper. Sounds good.

I wasn't going to buy dies for the 6.5 PRC since it's only for hunting but now I may get a set of Redding precision dies (3 dies) in that cartridge to try that round and a few others.

anwahs,
Wow! Those 'yotes were definitely DRT with bullets that big.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.