Too late to start?

👍
To me the hunt is a spiritual thing. You get alone time in nature and be in the world God created. Just isn't anything more calming and peaceful than sitting out in the woods with nature doing its thing all around you. Shooting an animal is a very small part of hunting. It's a very rewarding part but just a small moment of the whole hunt. The best memories I have are from deer camp and the military. These guys are your brothers and you know it. Sisters too if you have women there. We never did. There is nothing like breakfast at camp. The warmth of the wood stove when you come in cold and wet. Everybody talking about what they saw. You need to go at least once and no you don't need to take a gun unless you want to. If you don't want the meat go to any church and it will be gone in a second. But at least keep one backstrap and enjoy one of the finer foods in life.
Shep

Sounds like a Plan......i shall not give up.....👍👍

Thank you guys for all your suggestions & help, I am blown away by the many helpful responses here. ALL Excellent advice & most helpful. I appreciate all that you guys are doing for me & it is inspiring. I will let you know how it turns out for sure......

I think you need a new rifle this season honey it has worked for me
Again I will show you just how lucky I am and a lot of guys may not believe this but I have had built two custom rifles and have many thousands of dollars invested when I told her that I could upgrade hers she refused and said I like it just the way it is

I have been married for 35+ yrs. I have never hunted anything but fish & only then a few times a year with 3 fishing buddies. Now my fishing buddies have either retired & moved away or have plain retired. I am the last one working & a co-worker whom i have known & worked with for 25 yrs has invited me Deer Hunting for several years now. I want to go, the deadline for getting tags is in 2 days. This fall i will be 60 yr old. I did not bring it up to my wife before because i know how she feels about hunters......because her dad & uncles hunted & she grew up & did not appreciate their demeanor. Last night i told her i wanted to go this fall, She gave every reason under the sun ranging from , "This is not you" to , "i don't want the mess in the house, i will not eat deer meat, Your 60 yrs old, you have a bad back, you could get shot. You are not going to do this. You did not grow up this way"...…..My question is , How do i get thru to her? I do not want to be insensitive but is hunting worth pursuing at my age? I feel i would regret it if i didn't at least try. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Fellow Texian here.
Sounds like I'm married to your wife's sister from another Mother. Not about hunting, but motorcycles.
I bought a used m/c about

I have been married for 35+ yrs. I have never hunted anything but fish & only then a few times a year with 3 fishing buddies. Now my fishing buddies have either retired & moved away or have plain retired. I am the last one working & a co-worker whom i have known & worked with for 25 yrs has invited me Deer Hunting for several years now. I want to go, the deadline for getting tags is in 2 days. This fall i will be 60 yr old. I did not bring it up to my wife before because i know how she feels about hunters......because her dad & uncles hunted & she grew up & did not appreciate their demeanor. Last night i told her i wanted to go this fall, She gave every reason under the sun ranging from , "This is not you" to , "i don't want the mess in the house, i will not eat deer meat, Your 60 yrs old, you have a bad back, you could get shot. You are not going to do this. You did not grow up this way"...…..My question is , How do i get thru to her? I do not want to be insensitive but is hunting worth pursuing at my age? I feel i would regret it if i didn't at least try. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I am a hunter whose wife will not cook deer ether. I give it to the butcher who knows familes in need and gives it to them. I pay the butcher shop to dress the deer. I will be 80 next month have perched two new rifles in the last two years to shoot and hunt with. If you dont feel like hunting, just go to a range and shoot. That is most of what I do now. It is a lot of fun and you meet a lot of nice and interesting people.

Thank you for your most helpful replies, I appreciate them, I am not giving up, & will let you know how it turns out....
Never too late to start. Hey - make some jerky from the Venison and see if your wife likes that. There is more of a gap today than years ago -when - especially in small towns - people hunted for FOOD. Suggest you start with an easier type hunt - and also join the Safari club - or Mule Deer or Whitetail club(s) in your area to learn more. Also - do you shoot now? If not - get a fairly gentle caliber to start - say a 6.5 Creedmore or similiar - with little kick/recoil.

I am a hunter whose wife will not cook deer ether. I give it to the butcher who knows familes in need and gives it to them. I pay the butcher shop to dress the deer. I will be 80 next month have perched two new rifles in the last two years to shoot and hunt with. If you dont feel like hunting, just go to a range and shoot. That is most of what I do now. It is a lot of fun and you meet a lot of nice and interesting people. You can buy a nice rifle in 6.5X55 Sweed which is a low recoil and a lot of fun to shoot. It will kill a White Tail Deer as far as you will be able to shoot it.

My friend, she is making way too many assumptions about hunting and about your own character. In my case I was humbled to discover that I was only a part time hunter whereas my quarry were full time deer (or ducks) meaning hunting is often just a glorified camping trip with you and God walking up high in the mountains getting close to nature with a rifle over your shoulder for comfort and safety from any critters that might take issue with you walking through their back yard.
I'd go, it is a very humbling experience to get closer to our roots in nature. It will also enhance your mojo and destroy any remaining soy boy genes imposed upon us from society.
Cheers, SE. <><

Go hunting she doesn't have to eat the meat make a lot of jerky cook it for yourself hunting is mans therapy

I'd tell her, "I'll still be the same person you married and I'll be very careful. But I really want to try this and I'm going to do it."

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.