Too late to start?

Wow, there's a lot of really crap advice here. You know her, we don't. "do it and don't tell her" or "do it and don't care" are not good advice. My wife is very strong willed, but we do respect each other and understand that while do have many of the same hobbies we are not the same people and different things are important to each of us. I've always been able to amicably resolve trying things that I want to try even when she is opposid to them as long as there's no real risk to myself and/or our relationship. She does a lot of things that I do t care to do, but I support and facilitate that and she's almost always (eventually) willing to support and help facilitate the thi gs I want to do. Given the short time line before getting tags I don't know if that'd be possible before buying them, but you can always buy the tags and not go if you can't get it worked out. If it's something that's important to/for you to do, and it doesn't harm her she might just need reassurance. She likes you right? She likes your personality and what you provide into the relationship right? Maybe she just needs to be reassured that you can go and hunt and you'll still come back as the same person. Your personality doesn't change every time you squash a bug does it? It doesn't change when you have to put a pet down (other than being sad for a while) does it? There's no reason that hunting and harvesting an animal should be any different. I look at it as picking up groceries while I'm camping in the woods. If she eats meat, an animal died to provide that, this way you know exactly where it came from and that it was healthy and free of all the junk that gets pumped into farmed meat.

If it were me, I'd try to explain to her that it's important to you, and you'll have limited chances to do it with the help that this coworker is willing to give. You may never do it again, but then at least you'll know it wasn't for you. If you do enjoy it and want to keep hunting you can talk to her about that after the first time. But either way, you'll still be the person that you currently are when you come back home.

One of the things that I DO deal with that's similar (my wife likes to hunt) is her comparing me, both subconsciously and consciously to her abusive father. It's made parts of my life pretty difficult, but I live her and she's worth it. When this comes up it's usually resolved by sitting down, have a real, calm, rational conversation about it. Once she realizes that I am not, and never will be, like her father the conflict goes away most of the time.

I've only been married for 6 years, so I do t have the insight that a lot of you do, but I feel like my wife and I have a good relationship despite both of our shortcomings.

If she doesn't respect you and does nothing but try to control your life, then there are much deeper issues that might call for more professional help than a forum can give you.

In the end, you know her, we don't. You will know the best way to talk to her. You guys married for a reason right? Maybe she needs to be reminded why she married you, and not somone like her father or uncles.

You know her best, don't listen to any of us. All we can share are outside perspectives. And the ones that are disrespectful don't even merit consideration.

I hope your able to work it out and get out there. I grew up in South Florida and the only "hunting" there was in my area was getting rid of racoon infestations. I moved to Alaska and took my first big game (a good sized caribou) a couple years ago. It's a lot of work (less for deer at least lol) but extremely rewarding. Everytime we eat it we remembered things from the hunt. Every time we shared meals of it with friends it would spark conversations. It was great.

P. S.

If she likes Indian food, try making some venison that way. Indian food deals with a lot of goat and lamb which can be pretty gamey. The spices and things that they use really cut the gameyness of the meet, and the long simmer times keep it from becoming tough. My wife doesn't care for caribou, but really likes it in Indian food. She absolutely loves moose in almost any form though

James, Because you included that "I feel i would regret it if i didn't at least try," and that you want to do it, negotiate with that as your goal. You can counter her arguments in a loving manner. Include something along the Line that The two of you are different, you respect her opinions, and with that in mind, this is something you've always wanted to try. If you're successful In hunting, your deer can go straight to the butcher. She doesn't have to eat it. I prefer elk so much so that I don't ever buy a deer tag anymore. It sounds like you are a peacemaker, you can be kind and still go. PS Be sure to shoot and sight in the rifle you will be using :) That will increase your odds of having venison. PS2 It's not too late

Last edited:
James,
You've asked two questions. Let's take the easy one first: Is it too late to start hunting? If you ain't dead it's not too late. Most of the hunters I know or knew hunted for 3 reasons: the time spent in nature, the people they spent that time in nature with, and the satisfaction of being involved in a primal act that goes all the way back to pre-historic humanity. The order of importance varies by individual character, and even from one event to the next for each individual. Some hunts we remember fondly for what we took home to eat, some for what we took home to cherish in our memories. LRH members also tend to really enjoy the technical challenges of our chosen specialty, and all the gun stuff that goes into it (practice, tech, toys, etc.). You may find that hunting isn't your "cup of tea" or that it is the best thing since sliced bread, but you'll never know if you don't give it a whirl.
Now for the harder question. If your wife doesn't want you to do it, that is going to make life difficult no matter what. If her main objection is her perception of hunters as a stereotype, but she is willing to listen, I'd suggest an episode or two from Meateater, the hunting show put out by Steven Rinella. Especially one where he is taking a new hunter out for the first time (the are several, even a couple where he is taking two of the women that work in the production of the show hunting when they've decided to see what all the fuss is about. He talks a lot about hunting as conservation and management, but also puts a great deal of time into the eating part- all the way from trigger to table, as it were. Lots of good recipes on that show. If her concern is for your personal safety, statistically hunting is way low on the risk assessment scale, and while accidents do happen, they don't happen to hunters any more often than they do in transportation or industry or life in general. If she doesn't want to eat the meat, she doesn't have to, but my wife thought she didn't like venison when we got married either. That lasted until her first taste of my next deer. Now, if she is opposed just for the sake of being opposed, I really can't help you much there, but if you've been married for 35 years she can't be all bad and there is probably some hope to be had in a reasonable discussion of your needs.
Best of luck to you both, and I hope you can sort it out to your mutual satisfaction.
James M.

I am 70 years "young" and I will tell you I have worse classification of severe spinal stenosis and severe spinal arthritis that can be debilitating at times. Actually most times. I had my best year of deer hunting ever last fall and it was hard to do but it was worth every second of the effort. I went elk hunting last fall and toughed it out right up to being snowed out and having to break camp for a bug out. But when I am in the woods, watching dawn break and woods coming alive, pain just melts away and I am in a really good place. If the shooting of a deer is of question, still go and sit with your buddy if he is ok with it to experience it first hand. Maybe you won't like it or maybe you will absolutely love it. Hunting is not killing but the summation of a total experience that cannot be easily described to anyone unless you actually experience it. Hearing a deer walking up on you will elevate your senses to a degree you never thought possible and even if you do not shoot anything that experience alone will be worth every second in the woods. If you take the time to be an observer, you will see animals do things that you didn't think was possible and sometimes laughable. Bring a camera, bring a lunch, take a nap in the woods, enjoy the moment is what I will tell you.

Oh yeah, my wife will not eat venison but she understands my time in the woods is my mental health fix and she hopes I can do it for as long as I can stand up.
In 2015 six weeks before I was scheduled to go on a Elk hunt, I tore my Meniscus in my left knee and had to surgery. I almost canceled my trip, but my group said they would help me get my Elk. The second morning I spotted a Bull at daylight high on the ridge above us and I tried to work my way into shooting position. When my rifle went off the Bull disappeared going straight down out of sight. I made it to top and there was a small draw that the bull had gone down in that could not see from where I had shot. My group came to join me and begin the task at hand to getting the bull out the drawn. That night, I was tired hurting and my knee was swollen, but I felt great about the day that I had. The others hunters had watched as I limped my way up the ridge to make my shot, but after that they said I was running up the ridge and did not limp one time. I don't remember anything after I pulled the trigger but I know it was worth the effort and I will not forget my hunt. I will be in the field this fall hunting something with fur on it and I may be hunting but I want to keep hunting until my time is up.
Go hunting, it good for the soul.

Ace

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.