Where to Start: High Country Mulies

angus-5024

I was just wondering if any really experienced high county hunters would have some advice for someone trying to get into an alpine mulie hunt. I've hunted mule deer lots, but never on a hike in trail that takes me up into the alpine, where the big boys roam. Do I simply look at google map and pick a location and start walkin' through the bush? I want to start scouting now, I know that I need to put in hours of glassing, but other than that is there any good tips. Thanks

Depending on what you are trying to do.. be prepared first... too many green horns go up in the mountains equipped poorly or without adequate knowledge to save themselves..

I learned from Uncle Sam, and spent many years as a Green Beret learning how to stay alive out there...

Plan for the worst..
Super cold - can you stay alive.. weather changes up there fast and it is not forgiving.. I have awakened to 6" of new snow in early Sept.. and sleeting rain as well..

Cold kills fastest...

Water - use a filtration sytem and pack a little more water than you really need.. it also saves lives..

Food- 1 real meal daily and several small ones.. oatmeal etc as the small meals..

Cooking stove- small effiecent and light

Extra Clothes.- socks are super important good ones..

No underwear for me- light weight running shorts so I can wash up daily..

Wash your *** daily as well as pits and crouch.. you loose precious heating and cooling from clogged pores... I will give up sleep to stay clean

Fire starting equipment - several ways, and cotton balls in pertroleum jelly wrapped in aluminum foil...

Some why of contacting someone or a timetable with locations... I leave clothers in a bag in my car with specific instrutions to assist the searchers for my remains or hurt little body...

Just some tidbits of smart info..
De Opresso Liber..

Thanks cuernos1. I never thought of keeping yourself clean to assist in cooling/heating before though. I plan on hunting mostly in the region 8 of British Columbia, east of Sugar Lake. Thanks guys and keep it comin'.

JM

+1 on Cunerous response. Plan for the worst. Weather changes quickly. Always leave a route, timetable and pack list at your departure point and with your point of contact in-case of Search and Rescue.

Onto the question of how to find those high alpine deer. Contact your Wildlife Department and ask if they have any Deer / Elk population and habitat studies published for the area you intend to hunt. Call and talk to the Forestry department as well as the Fish and Wildlife Staff. Our Federal Forest and Wildlife groups have excellent knowldege and are normally happy to help.

Your state Wildlife office should have a biologist team on staff. They normally respond to consice to the point questions.

Those high country animals need food, shelter and water. Look and read up on your selected areas habitat and population reports. If you are out west get hold of previous years burn out areas.

Onto your efforts. Break the mold. Don't follow the normal human habit of waking at 5am, coffee, then head up the hill. Wake early, 2-3 am. Get in position before the twilight hits in the best viewing area you can find. Then Glass. I have read and seen it many times...Move less, glass more. You will see other hunters on the hillside that are running around like jackrabbits. Let those guys spooke the deer and watch how the deer react and where they go.

The big ones don't hang out too much with a group of does until the rut. Look at heavy patches of aspen and high mohogany near feed areas with good direct access to food, water, shelter and where those big one would be likely to have a concealed escape route nearby.

I often enjoy the stalk more than the kill. :D

Happy hunting.

I bought Mike Eastmans book Hunting high country mule deer. It has a lot of good info in there. David Longs, Public land mulies a good book on hunting mule deer by a guy that goes out by himself.
Tarey

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.