My 2018 high country Wyoming mulie

codyadams

So my cousin and I had scouted this area a little bit before season, and spotted several nice bucks over 160". We are packing in and staying in a tent, so we were trying to keep it light, especially since we are hunting at 9,000+ ft elevation and the country is pretty rough.

Well we got up there for season and spent the first day looking at 130-150" bucks, and passing because we knew what was up there. Then second morning came, and a nice deep forked 4x4 came out on the hillside we were watching ad 556 yards. I decided I wanted to take him, so we could try to get one of our two knocked out. I got my dope all set and when the buck turned broadside I sent it, but he took a step right as the shot broke. It hit a little far back, but still went through the liver. He ran less than 100 yds and piled up in a tree, the 147 eld-m did what I wanted it to.
20180917_092728.jpg
20180917_095018.jpg
20180917_111538.jpg
20180917_132618.jpg

Once we scored him, he netted 162 and grossed 175. Not the big bucks we were seeing, but I'm still happy with him!!

Nice buck and pics. Been scouting some 9-10,000 ft country in CO and found some good bucks. Just hope they stay put for 3 more weeks. Your hunt fired me up. Congrats!

Nice buck! I passed on a buck like yours opening morning and now I am second guessing that decision. Maybe I can still go back. We got chased out of our second area on the third day by the Roosevelt Fire and the area is still closed.

Great looking buck. I love big deep 4x4 mulies. I should draw a tag next year for a early rifle wilderness deer here in CO.

Congrats on a nice buck. How did the 147 eldm do (picture wise) I love the eldms on game!
I was actually surprised, so far this year we have used my rifle to take out 5 pronghorn, and all did excellent, ranging from 300-670 yards, with exit wounds between 50 cent sized and baseball sized, and massive trama with minimal blood shot. On this buck, the bullet entered at the rear most rib, and was between the off side rib and hide, no exit. The bullet was mushroomed all the way to the boat tail, but while deboning the deer I forgot and left the bullet on the mountainside. I was expecting an exit, but considering it was poor shot placement and the animal still only ran less than 100 yards, I will continue to use it for this season to continue analyzing it's performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.