Too late to start?

I have been married for 35+ yrs. I have never hunted anything but fish & only then a few times a year with 3 fishing buddies. Now my fishing buddies have either retired & moved away or have plain retired. I am the last one working & a co-worker whom i have known & worked with for 25 yrs has invited me Deer Hunting for several years now. I want to go, the deadline for getting tags is in 2 days. This fall i will be 60 yr old. I did not bring it up to my wife before because i know how she feels about hunters......because her dad & uncles hunted & she grew up & did not appreciate their demeanor. Last night i told her i wanted to go this fall, She gave every reason under the sun ranging from , "This is not you" to , "i don't want the mess in the house, i will not eat deer meat, Your 60 yrs old, you have a bad back, you could get shot. You are not going to do this. You did not grow up this way"...…..My question is , How do i get thru to her? I do not want to be insensitive but is hunting worth pursuing at my age? I feel i would regret it if i didn't at least try. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Look at the bright side, while you're out in the field hunting you won't hear a thing she says( don't take you're cellphone) because I had a hunting buddy once that always took his and the poor guy didn't get any enjoyment at all because his wife found every reason there was why he should come home, but if you do take it leave it at camp or in your vehicle because it will always ring just about the time you're going to pull the trigger, and when you get home be excited about the swell time you had hunting and don't let her get a negative word in edgewise and after she see's that you're ready enjoying yourself she will come around, may not tell you so but in her mind she'll think it's ok. Good Luck and enjoy your hunt

James, all I'm going to say is……..you aren't getting any younger.

I would give anything to go to deer camp and spend time with friends or family. Problem is, I don't have anyone that hunts beyond their backyard or across the road. Do it, she'll get over it, and you won't regret it.

I have been married for 35+ yrs. I have never hunted anything but fish & only then a few times a year with 3 fishing buddies. Now my fishing buddies have either retired & moved away or have plain retired. I am the last one working & a co-worker whom i have known & worked with for 25 yrs has invited me Deer Hunting for several years now. I want to go, the deadline for getting tags is in 2 days. This fall i will be 60 yr old. I did not bring it up to my wife before because i know how she feels about hunters......because her dad & uncles hunted & she grew up & did not appreciate their demeanor. Last night i told her i wanted to go this fall, She gave every reason under the sun ranging from , "This is not you" to , "i don't want the mess in the house, i will not eat deer meat, Your 60 yrs old, you have a bad back, you could get shot. You are not going to do this. You did not grow up this way"...…..My question is , How do i get thru to her? I do not want to be insensitive but is hunting worth pursuing at my age? I feel i would regret it if i didn't at least try. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure what happened, this may be a double post, to continue.

Is taking up hunting now worthwhile, in word, Yes. I went on my first Elk hunt in almost 40 years @ 66 yo. I do not have the vocabulary to describe the enjoyment of the trip. You can do so at any age. Your harvest (how's that for PC) can be donated to Hunters for the hungry. Sounds like you have an opportunity to go with some experienced hunters and that would be a grand way to be introduced to the sport. In Texas you will probably be hunting from a stand, and that's not strenuous, and I would expect your host will certainly be willing to help with the "dirty work".
Only you know how to deal with your spouse, to me it would be worth the cold shoulder but only you can make that call.

My wife of 36+ year wife had a similar discussion/disagreement several years ago about my returning to motorcycle riding. (have not owned a m/c since pre-wife). My-O-My was that a cat fight! A 150-300 mile motorcycle ride is thing of joy, and she got over it in a relatively short period of time.

We have some political / philosophical differences that come to the surface from time to time. Some have been rather ugly, but that's married life.
Ultimately, we come to terms & carry on.

Best of luck.

There are a few sayings that I personally do not agree with. "Happy Wife Happy Life" is one, that is a one sided marriage.

Life on this earth is way too short to not experience new adventures. I have been married for 34 years. I am lucky in that new adventures hunting & fishing has never been an issue. My wife will not eat wild game period. Will eat about any fish that I catch that is edible. I usually give away fish I catch that we do not consume or all wild game I shoot, she just does not like any wild meat. I don't go off hunting and fishing every weekend or day off that I have either. There is a happy medium here!

It is never too late to try new things in life. If you try and don't like it, don't do it again! But, if you never try new adventures, you will never know? You are not her siblings or uncles, if they were unethical hunters than that is not your problem. I would assume that if you have never hunted, you will be required to and should take a hunters safety course? That alone should set her at ease that you are taking deer hunting ethically, seriously and safely.

You may be pushing a rope up hill with your nose if you have always given your wife her way for 35+ years. To me that is selfish on her part that it is "Either My Way or No Way"!

That would have never worked for me Year One!

Tough spot! When I got married, my wife had never eaten wild game meat. She didn't even eat fish. Now she eats and likes most meats and fish and even likes sushi. Your wife might be too entrenched in her beliefs to change, but give her a chance. Most wild game meat is mighty tasty if it is properly taken cared of and prepared. Find some good recipes and she won't eat them, enjoy yourself and let her have her Oscar Meyers. I have served wild game to a lot of people and they thought it was dlicious.
Good luck.

James, all I can say is to tell my story. When I was young and recently married my wife let's say wouldnt stop me from it but she really wasnt thrilled about it and thought hunters were like what your wife thinks.

I showed her how much respect and love for the game I am after and take it seriously harvesting an animal so as little suffering as possible. I tell her that after I harvest a deer I kneel down beside it give thanks to our GOOD LORD for allowing me to harvest this beautiful animal.

She sees me practice shooting, reloading for best performance, having good gear to keep me safe in a tree. She sees all that and she even was open to try eating it. My family now all eats eat and my daughter was brought up on it from the time she could eat meat. When I get home I relay to her about my awesome experience I had in the woods. (That doesn't mean taking an animal) but the joy serenity tranquility of the woods and how beautiful it was to see the woods either wake up or go to sleep.

A lot of the times I could shoot but dont and just watch maybe waiting for that target buck or whatever. The woods does something to ya. Everyone here knows what I am talking about (But you). It would be a shame for you to not try it out.

Show her how you will be safe, and dont make her cook it, or eat it, keep for your self or give to a needy family.

Now my wife after all these years 25. Says hey Bri. Freezer is getting low. Ok honey I'll remedy that this week. We were just talking about how I need to take more deer this fall with meat being in low supply.

Best of luck

What makes you happy and your wife unhappy doesn't seem fair to me after 35 years of putting up with each other. And if you slip and fall or otherwise are even slightly injured you will never hear the end of it. That being said I took up competitive shooting when I retired as it is very time intensive and it has be a great retirement sport. Where else can you find a sport you can do lying down!

Never too late to start. Hey - make some jerky from the Venison and see if your wife likes that. There is more of a gap today than years ago -when - especially in small towns - people hunted for FOOD. Suggest you start with an easier type hunt - and also join the Safari club - or Mule Deer or Whitetail club(s) in your area to learn more. Also - do you shoot now? If not - get a fairly gentle caliber to start - say a 6.5 Creedmore or similiar - with little kick/recoil.
You're suggesting a NeedMore? 😂

Some years I don't kill out but still enjoy sitting outside. I'm 33 and hunted everything growing up. Having my own family and working doesn't let me out in the field as much as I use to. There isn't a day that goes by I don't think about hunting or fishing. Time spent outdoors with my family and friends is something you can't put a price on. I am very fortunate to have had the opportunities I did to hunt the some ground. Working my *** off now to buy some of my own land so my son can do the same.

Get out there and get after it! I've taught people 65+ to skydive. I know you probably don't want to hear this BUT, if your wife isn't supportive of an activity that is important to you, YOU need to express to her what this means to you. If she doesn't understand by then, GO ANYWAYS. Go to the woods to lose your mind and recharge your soul.

James, this is what I would do..... I have a similar argument with my wife whenever I leave the house alone. Doesn't really matter if I am going to a shoot out of town or hunting. I have RA and have had one heart attack. She doesn't like me to go anywhere alone. Its just because she loves me and doesn't want anything bad to happen to me. I tell her if its going to happen, it will anyway, and would she deny me the right to enjoy the things in life that are important to me, for her own selfish sense of security? Works every time. In your case, you also have to address her fears. Tell her you miss the time you used to spend in the outdoors fishing, and the time you spent with your buddies. This time is important to your mental health. Hunting and fishing are the same thing. the only real difference is "Catch and Release" is difficult in hunting. If killing and eating fish didn't change you, neither will hunting. Most of the hunters I know have a much deeper respect for life than those that don't hunt. They are also more compassionate. Explain to her these things, and explain just how important it is to you, and you are not asking her to participate in any way. Then ask her if there is something she really wants to do, but hasn't had the opportunity that is important to her. Tell her it is important to you that she gets to do that too, weather it includes you or not, and you are willing to help her make it happen. Good Luck.

my wife doesn't Hunt my wife didn't like deer meat (never had eaten it) my wife would not cook deer meat. Been married 38 years I process all the deer in the kitchen after quartering them at hunting location. Found great recipes for sausage fix the backstrap into bacon wrapped filet mignon's my wife now loves venison especially jalapeño cheese sausage and the filet mignon's and tenderloins. I'm 65 still hunting and plan to until I pass.

PS she cooks the meat now.
don't relevant, you have aright to your wants, at 60 you have your rights too.

It is never to late to enjoying or at least experiencing a good hunt.
I'm sure that your wife likes to bike, there are more injuries and deaths a year contributed to bike incidents than hunting incidents.
These numbers are given yearly to every law enforcement agency around.

I got rid of my last wife for some of the same reasons 😁

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts