to take or not to take a head shot on a deer?

It is human nature to try to control other humans.
It is human nature to resist being controlled by other humans.

So the internet is full of "I wouldn't do that!" indignant posts, on every topic.

Just like it never occurs to the poster that others might be smarted than him, it never occurs to the poster that others are better shots than him.

This will go on as long as there are humans.

RidgeRunner where are you coming up with these outrageous times(An Hour Cleaning up a Headshot) VS (2 minutes dealing with a lungshot) If you don't have the skills to make a headshot you are doing the right thing by taking lungshots.

you question my skills? did you happen to read my post on headshots in this thread?

I've taken a few deer, cleaned up a bunch, now where did I get these outrageous times, think about it.

takes 2-5 minutes to gut a deer, if its lungshot you leave most of the blood from the animal at the gutpile when you dump the blood out of the chest cavity, however on headshot deer it takes an hours or a bit more to fully process a deer, and your dealing with much bloodier meat the whole time.
Now I've probably cleaned up 200 or so deer, shot about anywhere they can be shot, my experience shows that headshot game is much messier to clean up and process than bled-out game.
Is that statement so outrageous?
RR

I tried to be a smartass and shoot a cow elk in the head from less than 100 yds. I clean missed and didn't get an elk that year. I will only take a head shot when it is the only shot that presents itself.

No two opportunities are exactly the same. I've had many DRT neck shots but only recall one head shot (back of the head where the neck meets) these shots have been taken with equipment, position, and practical experience that allowed for an ethical kill. I hunt some places that you just can't let the animal make a run or you're in for an adventure, LOL. I have other places that the boiler room is my go to.
I shoot year round and varmint hunt also, practice is the key to my hunting success.
If I have any gripe it's about the people who don't even bother to check zero but just drag their rifle out of moth balls every year and go give it a try. And even those folks can do what they want, not everyone has the time or access to a place for practice.

I was in rifle club as kid, with my buddies we shot 100's of rnds a week in 4 position, competed at state. Started hunting w/243, Dad told me to shoot elk in head because of small caliber, so that is what I DID. think it was old school ideas. I shot about 10 in a row, then I MISSED 4 head shots one season and gave it up. Shot 2 w/ pistol at bow type yardage. Met a guy in the bighole years ago hunting w/22-250, only head shot elk,old timer. Met a guy in SA that did game control and shot 10-20 animals in a evening head shot. I have had 2 long follow ups on neck shots, one on bull w/340 WM 1/2 mile, said never again, and one on muley, 2 mile 325 WSM, BOTH shot under 100 yrds. I am a fan of the boiler room shot.

Hi Guys,
A warm African helo to you all.Kind of new to the forum thing but here goes.
I have taken in excess of 160 animals this year with head shots,some with a .22LR some with a .308Win and then some with a 375H&H.Shooting distance between 50 and 250 meters.I had a client who head shot a blesbuck at 150 meters at a full run,the only shot he could take after his initial shoulder shot went wrong.
I learned a couple of things that may or may not help you in future.A small bullet in the right place is much better than a big one in the wrong place.A big bullet slightly of target has a far greater chance of killing an animal than a small one in the same place.I have seen two Impala this season that where shot to far down in the head,jaw line,that still dropped stone dead from broken necks.
A 375H&H can shoot head shots at 200 meters if you can handle it.Always be prepared to shoot a follow up shot as fast as you can,it saved me twice last year.
Trust yourself,your equipment and practice as much as you can.We here are fortunate with the abundance of game and being part of a cull team helps to keep the eye in and the finger sensitive.

We raised pigs to ~ 250 pounds, and then gave them a 22LR to the brain.

Lately, I have been giving raccoons a 22 short standard velocity to the brain.

With both of those animals, I like to shoot down through the brain from above, to get the brain stem.
If I just hit the upper brain, the animal acts like it is drunk.

We raised pigs to ~ 250 pounds, and then gave them a 22LR to the brain.

Lately, I have been giving raccoons a 22 short standard velocity to the brain.

With both of those animals, I like to shoot down through the brain from above, to get the brain stem.
If I just hit the upper brain, the animal acts like it is drunk.

About 15 years ago my brother-in-law and I visited a friend of his somewhere south of San Antonio. I met his buddy and his son while we were there. His son was around 8 if I remember right and he followed his dad everywhere he went. 2 weeks later the boy was killed in a freak accident. They lived on a farm and raised domestic hogs. They went out to kill one to butcher and dad let the boy shoot the hog in the head with a .22 LR rifle (I think it was a rifle). The bullet bounced back and entered the boys head through his eye and killed him. Rewind even farther back in time- I used to shoot my .22 LR rifle at a target at the base of an old oak tree in our back yard. One day I shot and the round came back and hit me right between the eyes. I could see it coming but couldn't react to it in time. It drew a little blood though not much since it just barely broke the skin. It was more of a shock than a hurt. If memory serves me correctly the tree was about 25 yards away. I don't shoot at trees anymore :cool:

Not trying to preach... just saying that strange things happen with .22 rimfires

The 22 mag works more consistently for not bouncing off a thick pig skull.
And the pig only gives you ONE easy shot.

I stop feeding pigs 24 hours before slaughter.
Then I put some feed in a small bucket.
When the pig sticks his head in the bucket, he gets popped in the top of the head.
If the bullet bounces off, the pig goes and hides.

Thats really sad how that boy died. Can't imagine what it did to the father.

When I was about 12, the family let me take a headshot on a pig with a 30-30. The bullet actually made it through part of the neck and stopped in front of the shoulder. We roasted the entire pig over a fire pit and ate more than half of it that day which was fun.

Personally I wouldn't take a headshot on deer out hunting, don't need to cause my load- 168VLD out of 7mm rem mag behind the shoulder of muley drops 'em with Zero meat damage and no bones touched. So far it has worked up to 750 yards. But high shoulder shot? Ha! Bet it would be ugly.

Last edited:
I am old enough to know not to engage in those posts on the internet these days, but football is slow and I feel compelled to reply:

I've shot quite a few large animals in my life but never in the head/neck (until this year).

Heart/lungs simply offers a bigger, more forgiving target. I respect the animals I hunt and I will not take a chance in a crippling shot. I've lost 2 deer in my life and both still haunt me and I will do anything to keep it from happening again.

In my case this year, I was presented with a head/neck only shot at a buck antelope at 80 yards. The animal was facing DIRECTLY AT ME - the only way I would EVER CONSIDER a head/neck shot as there's (virtually) no chance of hitting only a nose or jaw. I was prone with my rifle rested on my backpack with zero wind, a rock solid rest, and the antelope was not frightened or moving. I'd recovered from my 1 1/2 mile stalk and was breathing calmly. My .270 handloads shoot cloverleafs at 100 yards and have been tested through my rifle in the prone, offhand, kneeling, bench, and multiple bi-pod positions over the years. Miss low, hit the base of the neck. Miss high, head shot. Miss left or right, Jugular/carotid, quick bleed out, game over. I actually went through all of this in my head in about 10 seconds and talked myself into the shot. It's the only time in my life I have ever considered, and taken a shot like this. I settled in, put the crosshairs on the buck's adam's apple, and pulled the trigger. The shot dropped the buck on the spot instantly, and 2 vertebrae were mush and mostly out the back of his neck when I cleaned him. If I kill 100 more big game animals in my life, I bet 2 or less will be a head/neck shot. It's got to be PERFECT. That's just my take.

Problem is, people read threads like this and think, "why not try? Never know unless you try!" They take the rifle out of the lead sled and head into the woods and try to long, low percentage shots. Just because you have the right and you can (legally), doesn't mean you should. I am a staunch conservative and used to argue "if it's legal, leave me alone" but I am older, wiser, and more mature: Just because I can, doesn't always mean I should. It's the same reason I choose not to use battery powered motion decoys while duck hunting. Guess I am a traditionalist that way. To each his own.

The same way people reserve the right to take that risk with another animal's life in the field, I reserve the right to challenge the ethics of folks who attempt these shots when the situation, equipment, and their practice/experience is not perfect. Half the folks here will condone the shot, half won't. They're both right, but the individual who is shooting has to be mature enough to know when it's right. Unfortunately, it's been my experience that some folks aren't mature enough to make that call. I've lived across the country, and it's been my observation that this *tends* to be more prevalent based on geography, but I will stop at that.

I'll grit my teeth at the folks who take what I consider unethical shots, and it does frustrate me to read, but truth be told, I am happy with who I am and how I do it, so I let it all go pretty quick. :)

In the end, life is too short and I am perfectly happy hunting with like minded individuals and bagging a few less animals in my life, but making their last few moments on this earth respectful and ethical.

--Duck911

Last edited:
Sorry for resurecting old thread but I found this poor fella with a fresh head shot wound and had to dispatch it, not all head shots are a simple dead/missed deer...

[ame=http://youtu.be/he8CnJ20sPI]Result of poor head shooting. Roe deer stalking / hunting. - YouTube[/ame]