To Bed or not to Bed

Kevin87

Just purchased a Bell and Carlson stock for my Tikka T3. Being that this has the full length aluminum bedding block, should I bed the action anyway, or just drop it in and go shooting?

I bed all my rifles Including those with aluminum bedding blocks. Some of the aluminum blocks only contact small areas of the action. It would be nearly impossible for two different companies to make two pieces fit perfectly on something that is mass produced.

I say shoot it. I have an htg edge stock on my savage and unbedded it's easy sub 1/2moa. Will it shoot better bedded? Honestly I don't think I'd be able to tell ya.

Shoot it first and see how it does. If the rifle doesn't need bedding your wasting time and money. Put your finger on the end of the forearm touching the barrel. (Dial indicator is better, but finger works good to) Tighten and loosen the action screws one at a time with the barreled action horizontal. If you can feel the barrel move up and down there is stress being imposed to the action. The stock would be a great candidate for a bedding job.

I only say this because i have bedded some that never changed a thing when the barrel didn't move. And wasted my time and money.

I already have some Devcon 10110. I could shoot it first, but I don't think I have anything to lose by bedding it. Thanks for the replies!

87, yes bed it. Make sure the action is at a right angle to the stock "not canted"and check inletting for clearances of areas you're not bedding. Most aftermarket stock fit a generic action model. Some subtle model changes over the years require checking inletting fit. The Tikka T-3 has a different lug than most, I bedded my new T-3 walnut stock last month and had to study the set up a bit first. Good luck

Last edited:
I didn't have time earlier to look up these links .

http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i139.html

http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i186.html

I bed my stock with devcon 10110 . it has the aluminum block . I got a lot of info from Ernie the gun smith website . here are a few links I saved . I also used Ernies accu-risers . the bedding job turned out pretty good and the rifle shoots more consistent with a fresh bedding job . with you already having the devcon , I'd sure bed it .

So I bedded the action Thursday night and went out Saturday with some test loads. I think the bedding worked! 3 shots at 100 with Tikka 7 mag.
20170902_124013.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.