To Bed or Not Bed the Recoil Lug in New McMillian Edge Stock

WC,

The scope on the gun is a Leupold VX-II 6-18x40mm with adjustable objective. I've been diligent about making sure the AO was set to the correct yardage when shooting.

Thanks for the other advice too. I'll do some research on shooting technique and styles and ensure my scope is set correctly front to rear.

So you do understand that the yardage scales are rarely correct ? Even on the most expensive scopes ? That was why I asked if you actually verify if you get any crosshair movement on the target, its the only way you really know if you have it dialed in. Once you have gone through this exercise a few times you generally know how much the dial is off and can figure out if there is a way to correct it or not. With an AO, there is probably nothing that can be corrected. With a side focus, one may be able to move the knob a few splines in the right direction.

The more scopes you own the harder this is to stay on top of, unless you have the time to verify parallax in the field.

That's good info WC. I'll play with it the next time I'm at the range. Is parallax more pronounced at longer yardages? Meaning will I notice it more when I'm looking at something that is 500 yards away versus 100 yards?

This is a tough problem to visualize. You have to imagine that somewhere in your scope is the reticle plane (perpendicular to the optical axis) and somewhere else is the image plane. If those 2 planes do not coincide, that is when there will appear to be relative movement of the reticle on the target when you move your eye off the true optical axis in any direction. I imagine the problem is actually worse at short distances, which is where we happen to sight in and test accuracy.

If you ever owned a camera with a manual focus lens, did you notice that it took a lot of adjustment to get things focused at close range, but much less at long range, or what passes for infinity ? This is the same kind of thing So at 50, 100 and less so 200 you will have a bigger problem with parallax than at 600 or 1000 yards since those distances are approaching infinity. But this phenomenon can bedevil accuracy checking which we do at closer ranges.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.