Pillar bed or glass bed?

[ QUOTE ]
So if one has a stock that has an aluminum bedding block (say an H-s Precision).....does one still drill the aluminum block and and put pillars as well as "glass, steel, JB weld" bedding?

I thought that the whole purpose of the aluminum bedding block was to be similar to pillars....so all you would do is to "glass...etc" bed? Correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pillars are already machined into the bottom of the block for the triggerguard and the front screws to seat against on the bottom..... No need to install pillars as the entire aluminum block is one big pillar. I just skim bedded mine this week and it is solid as a rock.

James

If your gonna piller bed a gun you should go ahaead and "glass" bed it. Personaly from now on I'm only gonna be using Brownells Steel Bed as my bedding compound./

Glass bedding is a broad rangeing term , the use of defferant compunds to bed with ranging from cheap wal-mart epoxy to hightech titanium mixed epoxys , alot of guys use JB Weld and Marine-Tex with great results.

I have a savage model 111 and would like to try and improve it by bedding it with a brownells kit i found. it appears to be a epoxy of soe sort at the local store. ar etheir any articles on this? i wan to perform it but would like some more insight before i start. any ideas or direction would be great.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.