To pillar bed an Sako 85 or not?

OrrHunter1

Thoughts needed,

I have a Sako 85 and I'm having a McMillan put on it. My smith wants to know if I want it pillar bedded.
What do you guys think? I don't know if its really possible being that the 85 has a recoil block that gets mounted to the stock and mates to the front bottom section of the receiver. I don't really think the stock needs the pillars anyways. I've been thinking of using the funding of the pillars for cerakote instead.

Thoughts Please?

Thanks, OrrHunter1

I have a sako 75 300 wsm shooting between 1/3 and 1/4 MOA consistently at 110 yards. This rifle has a classic "remington style" recoil lug placed between the barrell and the action. If I had a sako 85, which adopted the tikka recoil lug system for cost saving purposes, I would mill a place for the recoil lug in the front of the action and weld it there. Then you would need to mill a place for the lug also in the stock and then bed it. From what I've seen old sako 75s shoot better than new 85, but since barrel and action have not changed, I really believe that you can get the same results with your rifle.

A friend of mine also recently bought an 85 in 222 rem, but until he made the re- recoil lug design job, the rifle didn't soot well.

At Mc millan, they designed a stock specific for tikkas with a steel plate lug which fits precisely in the slot made in the action. Before thinking of making the long and difficult job for changing position of the recoil lug, give Mc millan a call and see if they produce stocks for sako 85 with the metal plate. Note that they didn't have the tikka stock on the online catalog, but they were producing it.

I have a Sako 75 with a walnut stock that I had pillar bedded and feel it was money well spent. It shoots great in cold rainy weather or hot and dry.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.