TMOA Reticle

All positive reports so far. So that's a good sign. Greyfox I also have a few MOAR reticles and a NPR2. More than happy with the NF. Just want to keep the weight down on this build. Love to try a March, but to much money for me.

I have a 3-18 vx-6hd with the t-moa and have shot it to 1k on my 6.5 saum. I love the reticle and have had no problem placing shots. I do use my illumination, but I don't see as well as I use to

I hear ya Matt. I need more magnification as well. I prefer at least 22 power. Love my 8-32x56 NXS. If I go VX6HD it will be the 4-24.

I have used that 4-24 and it is nice. My 3-18 is on a hunting rig that I target shoot with occasionally. I won't shoot at game much farther than 600 with that gun, so 18 is plenty for that

This will also just be a hunting gun for out to 5-700 yds. Maybe I've just become used to higher magnification. If there's not mirage I'll shoot 32 power from 100 yds to 1000. Out of box blinds I will even shoot deer at 32 power between 100-200 yds. Had a 4-14x56 Shv on a 280 AI. Didn't like it. Not enough magnification for me. Felt like the 500 yd gong was at 1500 yds.

If I had access to look through a few VX6HD it would sure help. I will admit I have been tempted to go with the 3-18. But I better stick to my gut and go 4-24.

If I had access to look through a few VX6HD it would sure help. I will admit I have been tempted to go with the 3-18. But I better stick to my gut and go 4-24.
As mentioned, when you get into that higher magnification it is easy to loose game because of the narrower field of view. The bull in my avatar was taken near 700 yards. When I had the the NF turned up to 22X I lost him in the field of view. I eventually had to adjust it down to around 15 power so I could get on him and take the shot. Just my experience and why I think 3-18 is optimum for hunting.

In Mississippi you have to really be set up for those long shots, like power lines or big bean fields, so for my use the low end was more important at the time. I almost went 2-12, but I'm happy with the choice.

I'm from Canada and hunt mostly the prairie provinces of Manitoba,Saskatchewan and Alberta. If in tree stands I like about a 4 or 5 magnification. Wheat stubble fields in Saskatchewan the more magnification the better for me. Bull elk I shot in Alberta two years ago on a cut line was at 625 yards. Used 20 power on him. Have hunted Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. I agree some of those stands I was in in Mississippi I could of used open sites. Maybe I should reconsider the 3-18. Would save some weight. Most shots with this gun won't be over 5-600 yards anyway.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it man, just why I picked mine. I am headed out west this year, but I can't afford to build a gun and scope for just the one trip. If I could I would do the more mag too. Tough choice.

I have 3-18x50 VX6HD's on both my custom rifles. One has the TMOA the other has the impact-29. Think I like the TMOA slightly more for the simplicity. All around great scope, and a big step up from the original VX6.

You might consider the VX5HD 3-15x. Same glass and same elevation turret as the 6HD, and a lot less expensive.

Last edited:
TMOA in a NF is too fine for hunting.....perfect for sage rats and prairie dogs. VX6HD is good with TMOA in both 4-24 and 6-18 great weight savings! Still prefer a NF NSX or ATACR in straight MOA. Just got my first of the new Zeiss and so far jury is out but not as impressive as I had hoped!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.