Titanium actions

I greatly appreciate the follow up discussion. My intention was to build a 7PRC using the REM 700 Ti long action. Since I build rifles (07 FFL), I suppose I could periodically check the lug abutment dimensions. What interval should that be done? Every 50 rounds? 100 rounds?

My intention in bumping this thread was to get further discussion and 1st hand knowledge regarding the likelihood of an issue with using a .532 bolt face factory load like the PRCs with this titanium action.

I appreciate the responses.
I've got a Titanium action on a warm mid length cartridge, Mag BF. I tossed the first barrel because it "pressured up early." Accuracy was ok, nothing special.
I could not get the velocity of some smaller cases, and ran a 2" longer barrel.
If there is a chance my action contributed to this issue, I want to replace it NOW.
Screwed a new barrel on yesterday and have 15 rds of shoot and clean through it so far….

WOW this original Post is over 4 Years old.
A lot to be said on Titanium Metal.
There are differences on stress for metals like Aircraft or Submarines.
Then talking about the pressure from a controlled explosion in a rifle chamber and the Bolt/Action containing those multiple explosions over hundreds/thousands of times that will stress the metal.
I am sure that the manufactures have done many metallurgic tests before they even started to build a TI Action.
I worked with Titanium metals over 40 years ago at General Dynamics - Eletric Boat Division in Groton, CT. Different Stress Tests than used for a Firearm, but Russia was using Titanium in their Submarines at that time. SO it had to have good properties for pressure testing and use.
I would use a Titanium Action, but for the COST Factor. Weight per $ per OZ/Gram.
When I was a Mountain Climer, I would cut the tags out of clothes for weight savings (grains). Every grain/gram/once mattered when climbing at altitude.
Now hunting you try to get the lightest rig. But just think the savings of weight on a Titanium Action opposed to a Steel Action may be less than an extra cartridge for that rifle. Just think about that??????
Do hunters actually calculate grams and Onces when backpacking or walking on a hunt???
Most if not all hunters will have their rifle "Slung" on their whole hunt. How many will actually "Free Hold" the rifle without a rest of some sort? A tree, Tripod, Bi Pod, Prone & Bags.
THINK ABOUT IT!!!
Sounds like you don't sheep hunt.

Sounds like you don't sheep hunt.
You are so correct! I am so out of shape now from all the surgeries but years ago I could do a Sheep Hunt and hike up and down mountains for 15-20 miles in a day. I would have cut my weight down to like I was mountain climbing for my clothing and gear and have a real light rig. I guess I was trying to compare the weight of a SS action and Titanium and the cost factor of a few grams savings. If I went on a hunt like that I would most likely use Jill's Kimber Montana 1n 270WSM with a Kevlar stock. It is light enough and I would not need to change the Action to Titanium.
Look at the scope you use also for wight.
You are not going to be holding the rifle in your hands all the time. Your rifle would be Slung or on your pack. There are so many ways to save or add weight while backpacking from your boots, clothing, pack, gear, equipment to pack the animal out.
Thanks for bringing this up.
Len

You are so correct! I am so out of shape now from all the surgeries but years ago I could do a Sheep Hunt and hike up and down mountains for 15-20 miles in a day. I would have cut my weight down to like I was mountain climbing for my clothing and gear and have a real light rig. I guess I was trying to compare the weight of a SS action and Titanium and the cost factor of a few grams savings. If I went on a hunt like that I would most likely use Jill's Kimber Montana 1n 270WSM with a Kevlar stock. It is light enough and I would not need to change the Action to Titanium.
Look at the scope you use also for wight.
You are not going to be holding the rifle in your hands all the time. Your rifle would be Slung or on your pack. There are so many ways to save or add weight while backpacking from your boots, clothing, pack, gear, equipment to pack the animal out.
Thanks for bringing this up.
Len
Yup I agree with all of that, except one thing, a heavy rifle carries poorly and on day 8 can start to feel like it's 30 lbs. it's much cheaper though to exercise and drop a pound! But! This is the hunting brotherhood and NO ONE should make us justify our hunting Drams. I already have someone in my life who feels that's necessary.

Yup I agree with all of that, except one thing, a heavy rifle carries poorly and on day 8 can start to feel like it's 30 lbs. it's much cheaper though to exercise and drop a pound! But! This is the hunting brotherhood and NO ONE should make us justify our hunting Drams. I already have someone in my life who feels that's necessary.
Almost 20 years ago I was having a Hunt setup for Argali Sheep in the mountains of Mongolia. Had a good friend from Spain getting all the arrangements and then there was some Political issues between Governments in that area and we were denied access. It was my dream hunt of a lifetime. Planed for over a year. Had the funds $$$$s, gear and top physical condition. Spent one month climbing Denali the previous year.
Had the rug pulled out from under us. Started Hunting SA a few years later.

Almost 20 years ago I was having a Hunt setup for Argali Sheep in the mountains of Mongolia. Had a good friend from Spain getting all the arrangements and then there was some Political issues between Governments in that area and we were denied access. It was my dream hunt of a lifetime. Planed for over a year. Had the funds $$$$s, gear and top physical condition. Spent one month climbing Denali the previous year.
Had the rug pulled out from under us. Started Hunting SA a few years later.
Dang that woulda been disappointing.

Cool, any chance you know what they are calling it? I can't see it on their website.

I googled that prior to asking and nothing showed for defiance. Appreciate that.

I've got a Titanium action on a warm mid length cartridge, Mag BF. I tossed the first barrel because it "pressured up early." Accuracy was ok, nothing special.
I could not get the velocity of some smaller cases, and ran a 2" longer barrel.
If there is a chance my action contributed to this issue, I want to replace it NOW.
Screwed a new barrel on yesterday and have 15 rds of shoot and clean through it so far….
Riz, I hate to be the one to tell you this but, I really think it's the action! Bring it by and I will evaluate it for a couple years to remove all doubt!!! 😇