Titanium actions

I recently spoke with a big name rifle builder about chambering a barrel for my titanium action, and he went off on how inferior they are.

He said "Titanium has no place on a rifle especially actions, and they are potentially dangerous"
He will not work on them period.

I'm super curious if anyone else shares this opinion, and what evidence is out there to support this?
The guy was super rude and pushy with his views so I'm thinking he's full of it..

... ... Case in point:

Remington Titanium M700's and M40's (those do exist, I have one) are not, nor have been ever offered in a magnum just for the reasons I've stated. Long actions Titaniums (they also exist, trust me) are not setup in magnums either.

The material (6AL 4V) just does not weather impact and abrasive type duty cycles well. Ti is used in aircraft/people because its light, strong, and benign to corrosion and oxidation. As good as all this is, it's not HARD which is a vital part of being a firearm. Hard, slick, & tough parts belong in a gun.

Hope this helps.
https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/gunsmith-opinion-on-titanium-vs-steel-action.6970977/

... ... Case in point:

Remington Titanium M700's and M40's (those do exist, I have one) are not, nor have been ever offered in a magnum just for the reasons I've stated. Long actions Titaniums (they also exist, trust me) are not setup in magnums either.

The material (6AL 4V) just does not weather impact and abrasive type duty cycles well. Ti is used in aircraft/people because its light, strong, and benign to corrosion and oxidation. As good as all this is, it's not HARD which is a vital part of being a firearm. Hard, slick, & tough parts belong in a gun.

Hope this helps.
https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/gunsmith-opinion-on-titanium-vs-steel-action.6970977/

I used to have a Remington Alaskan Ti in 7mm Rem mag... so they definitely exist and made in magnums also,

https://www.remington.com/news/2006...m-gets-new-look-and-name-model-700-alaskan-ti

I was at my Smith's shop yesterday. He had a titanium action and barrel laying on one of his bench's. I brought up titanium and he said there's one right there. I asked if he had any negatives with titanium. He said he'd heard of some galling issues, but never dealt with it. He said that one was in the shop because the barrel was coming loose...

If you objective is "light"...Why not call up Ultra Light Arms and talk to Melvin Forbes. He build every action in house - with steel...but specific to your desired chambering. So - each receiver is made as light as can be safely done, with no waisted metal where not needed. I have never seen, heard or read any bad press about his rifles...in fact the opposite. Not inexpensive - but likely no more than you are looking to spend. Other than the trigger, and the barrel...everything else is built by him, in house. Do a Google on his firearms. I think of him as sort of a living legend among gunsmiths.

I have three guns built on Pierce ti actions, and one of them also has a ti bolt. I love all three of them and will use them again when I want to build another gun. The one with a ti bolt is a 300 RUM and I've had zero issues with it, and it probably has 500 rounds down the pipe at this point.

I realize this is an older thread but I wanted to get some thoughts from some of the posters here using Ti actions: Which magnum calibers have you used? I'm thinking of building myself either a 6.5PRC or 7PRC on a Rem 700 Ti action. Getting mixed feedback on the reality of lug set back.

I think Borden would be one of the few I would trust to call up and ask what he thinks about them and why he started/stopped offering them/making them.

Ive been told a lot of things by a lot of gunsmiths.
Save you a call—-TIME and pride! He told me after he quit them the first time, due to nature of TI stock, it takes longer to produce and the bolt doesn't run smooth enough to put his name on (essentially). I have several of his that function properly and shoot tiny holes! TI actions without dlc coating run a little choppy but, it is to be expected. Some people just don't expect the result and think it is in the craftsmanship.
If I was him, probably wouldn't build them either if I had a never ending market for best in class steel actions!

Any more guidance on high pressure cartridges such as 6.5 or 7 PRC on a Rem 700 Ti as it relates to lug set back? Thank you for the information.

Any more guidance on high pressure cartridges such as 6.5 or 7 PRC on a Rem 700 Ti as it relates to lug set back? Thank you for the information.
It's only high pressure if you make it high pressure, otherwise it has the same saami standards as everyone else. Do yourself a favor and buy an anti-x, Pierce shadow, or pure precision skltn.