Tips and hints specific to loading .338 lapua

Full length size lapua brass h1000 powder 300smk and your golden.
Had always thought about bergers but the smk fly so well out of multiple 338 lapuas for me i stick with them.

Do you mean full length size after every time you fire the brass or when you get in a new batch of unfired. Yes I am just starting to plan my loading, still waiting on .338 ax to come. I have got 500 smk 300 grainers and H1000 ready to go just missing the rifle for now lol. I am trying to arm myself with as much knowledge as possible before I get on with my new project thanks

The process of firing and forming brass causes it to work harden or become brittle. Annealing is the process of heating the case neck to a specific temperature thus allowing the brass to weaken and regain its initial elasticity.

There are quite a few you tube videos and a ton of articles on the process.

Ok cool, I've been looking it up there and reading up. Thanks for your input , I've also read on another site that when firing the 300 grainers during load testing they aren't very accurate at close range and stabilize late on and are more accurate group at say 300m than at 100 is this true. Should I expect .5 moa group at 100m zero with these rounds.

I would expect .5 @ 100 my lapuas will shoot in the .2-3's if I do my part.

I've never run my loads super hot as I have always found superb accuracy with below max charges and have never seen the point in pushing for speed.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.