Tipi Design

tlong

Hey Guys and Gals, I am looking at building some tipi's and just wanted some of your opinions, for those of you that have used the various types of tipi's. If you could have a custom tipi made, to your specifications, what would you consider the top priority? (i.e. extra tie outs, certain height, etc.) Again, think of anything that you wish did or did not come on your existing tipi, and any changes you would make. Thanks in advance for any replies.

For me, the thing that makes the original native tipi was the many poles that were closely spaced giving excellent structural support and stability in high wind. But there seem to be few options for doing the poles better in modern tipis. I don't think the single pole tipis compare at all to the multi pole ones. What is needed is a form of telescoping pole that breaks down to a length that can fit in a sled. Shock corded aluminum tubing with swaged ends perhaps ? And ideally a pass through for the stove chimney that is part of the tripod, not an afterthought.

With aluminum poles, it would be possible to have an ozan that clips onto the poles and gravity would hold taut. But these suggestions apply to matters other than how to cut the cloth....

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.