Timney AR15 Weight??

NDPronghorn

Would like some input on the 3lb Timney aftermarket trigger that Len has for sale before ordering one. On another forum I saw multiple customers feedback info that they thought the Timney Competition Syle 3lb Trigger was a great trigger but recommended not using at all with gloves. These were all gun conversions and I'd like some input on what those of you who have done the TAC 15i conversion think. I live in ND so could be using my crossbow during some colder late season hunting. I have all my guns triggers at 2.5 - 3.0 lbs and usually remove my gloves if I'm on stand but when it's exceptionally cold sometimes that's difficult to do. I will use my crossbow primarilly for target shooting on the range and most of my hunting is during the warm-cool days in the fall. Do the 3lb Timney's hold at 3lbs or is there a range with them typically coming in a bit heavier then 3lbs? Thanks for the input.

Hi NDPronghorn,
I'm the person who first installed a Timney Trigger on the TAC15/15i crossbows and then wrote the instructional articles on performing the step-by-step installations, so you might say, I have some experience with these triggers.

For openers, Timney makes these triggers available in 3 lb., 3.5 lb. and 4 lb. versions for the AR15 Rifle, so you do have a selection available if you want something a little heavier. That said, unlike a rifle you have the tension of the crossbow cable against the trigger, so it's not as lite as one might think and therefore it can easily be shot with or without gloves on.

The Timney Triggers are very crisp when they break and have absolutely no creep, so it's just the amount of pressure needed to get a good, clean release. The Timney Trigger is also very accurate on how much pressure is applied. I've measured the actual trigger pull weight using a trigger scale and it releases exactly at the poundage it's specified for.

I currently have over 3,000 shots on my TAC15i with a Timney Trigger and could easily use any medium weight glove to shoot with, so my suggestion would be to not worry about what you're hearing from the forum crowd because the members of this TAC15/15i forum have more collective knowledge about the TAC15's than any forum I've seen to date and I belong to numerous others.

Regards,

Jon Henry

Thanks Jon Henry................You and several other experts have a lot of experience on the TAC 15i's that I admire! I'm a Tool & Die Maker/Moldmaker/Designer by trade and and now fully retired so I'm really looking forward to the TAC and the many things possible to optimize it's long range accuracy. Since my third shoulder surgery last week my doctor has recommended that if I don't want a 4th I need to get serious about a crossbow. He filled out my 3rd and 4th applications when he took out the stiches this morning. What is hard to believe is how different the crossbow requirements vary state to state in terms of getting the permit and then how different the requirements are relative to the type of sighting mechanisms allowed, etc. Colorado looks like the most stringent and I'm wondering what you or others would recommend when having to remove the scope for hunting?? In the meantime I will be going with the 3lb Timney and utilizing your recommendations step by step. Thanks again for your TAC leadership!! I intend to use much of your and the other experts advise on here.

Hi NDPronghorn,

For openers, we love machinists on this forum because it's guys like you who've helped us over the past couple of years to create a number of the custom components that allowed us to get the most out these crossbows, so many times I'd appreciate being able to bounce new ideas off somebody with your type of background skills and expertise, so it'll be a good trade off in the end.

Over the past 15 years I've had both of my shoulders operated on and then rehabilitated, so I know what you must be going through. Mine were both "Frozen Shoulders", just several years apart.

You'll meet numerous others on this website that all have a great deal to offer in terms of knowledge and suggestions, so keep and open mind to all of them. Some people may publish more articles than others, but those who don't are no less knowledgeable than those who do, they just might not be as interested in writing about everything they know.

Although we have an extensive forum of threads that should guide you through many different steps in adjusting and tuning your crossbow, once in a while, we might need to direct you to an article or two that exists elsewhere, but for the most part, you'll find everything you need in the older pages of this forum.

I'll address you question about about scopes or sites later this evening after dinner when I have more time. Also, please look for any input that comes from any of the other members of this forum because their advice is every bit as good as anything I can provide.

Regards,

Jon Henry

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.