Just ordered a Timney trigger

Twanger

I just ordered a Timney trigger from Len here at Long Range Hunting.
Sure you might save a few buck somewhere else, but Len has provided a great service here, and it is well worth spending the dollars here to support this web-site!

Thanks Len and everyone else here that is helping make my Tac 15i be all it can be!

Hi Twanger,

I got mine from Len in March of last year.......as much as you shoot you're going to love it! The difference is like night and day.

jon.henry755 has an excellent article on page 7 of this forum that tells how to install the Timney Trigger if you have any questions.

Good shooting!

Thanks rmbeach.
There was a one-pager instruction on the order page for the trigger. I downloaded that.
I'll check out page 7 as well.
I also got an HHA Optimizer.

Whew.... the accessories for this crossbow have cost more than my old crossbow! :D

Hi Twanger,
If you look up my article on performing this trigger install, it contains a link to Timney's website. The link is to a video produced by the Timney Trigger Team and it walks you through a simple Step-by-Step procedure that's absolutely worth watching.

Just keep in mind that their procedure is on an AR15 and not a TAC15 crossbow, so there are one or two minor differences. My installation instructions were written specifically for the TAC15 and 15i. It provides the different steps for the 15i from the 15.

Watch the video and then read my instructions. It couldn't be any simpler.

Regards,

Jon

Hi Twanger,
If you watch the video and carefully follow the steps in the install instructions, it should take between 20 and 30 minutes on a first pass.

Good luck and I'm here if you should have any questions.

Regards,

Jon Henry

I have no doubt that someone who had done the Timney replacement a few times could do this in 20-minutes, but I didn't have all the tools I needed to do it "properly," most notably a punch and hammer to knock out the silver pin above the trigger. That sucker is really in there, vs. the relatively loose fit of the black hammer and trigger pins.

However, the directions were spot on, thanks Jon, and the trigger replacement was accomplished in a little over an hour. Not bad.

The HHA Speed Dial went on easily by comparison and it's made pretty darned square because I remounted the scope and the crossbow was right on the money at 20yards.

So I did the 20/60 yard shot thing, grabbed Tape #23 and slapped her on.
This got me perfect zero out to 80 yards.

With a Sharpie I soon found and marked where 90 and 100 yards fell on the dial and was shooting for groups at 100.
On the second try I landed a 3-shot 2-inch group.
I also found that even the lightest zepher of a breeze would play havoc with the grouping at 100.

So... While the Tac15i appears to have almost the same inherent accuracy as my Encore 308, it is far, far more sensitive to wind drift.

Still, it's a remarkable machine, and really turns heads at the range.

Hi Twanger,
I'm glad to hear that you had a successful installation experience and that your accuracy at the longer distances seems fairly good.

I have two follow on suggestions for you if you want to improve the accuracy a bit more. I created and published an article on how to set up and get the most out of your HHA Optimizer Speed Dial. I beleive it was titled something about an HHA Optimizer Speed Dial Review, but if you search back on the LRH PSE TAC15 articles you'll find it.

Read it carefully and follow the instructions because it will eliminate using hand drawn lines on your Speed Dial Tape and really tune in the long yardages.

Secondly, your observations regarding the wind are absolutely correct and the wind is something that we must always be aware of when shooting long range shots. No matter what anybody tells you, there's no way of getting around this impact.

You can gain your final accuracy through testing and marking your arrow spines and then aligning your arrow nocks to either the stiff side ot weak side of each arrow spine. It doesn't matter which one you use just as long as it's always the same for each arrow. I prefer the stiff side, as do most archers who have years of experience building their own, but statistically it doesn't matter.

Regards,

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.