Time to Share your Winter Mutt Images!!

I'm over near Idaho Falls. UGA I'm jealous of your night vision, been considering going that route for a while now just haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. Is this your 1st night vision setup? Have you taken any coyotes with it?

I'm over near Idaho Falls. UGA I'm jealous of your night vision, been considering going that route for a while now just haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. Is this your 1st night vision setup? Have you taken any coyotes with it?

Heya Dstark.... man... you are only a couple hours East! This is my first thermal scope.... though for about a year and a half I've been using a Raytheon Thermal-eye 250D and a Pulsar DFA75 which is a night vision unit that attaches to the front of any scope I put one of their adapters on. It's been a deadly combination. I'll actually be putting up some footage soon I hope as I just got a recording unit, so I can finally get shots from the DFA75 and the new Apex XD75A. I just got the Thermal scope Tuesday night and yesterday I couldn't get out... but I may go tonight if the wind isn't up. Hopefully, by Sunday, I'll have broken this in a few mutts! If so... I hope I get some decent video footage and I'll post it on Youtube.

As for the night vision... yes.... my brother and I've killed a ton of yotes with that DFA75. It's what made me fall in love with night hunting... but I must admit, having the thermal along with it is a joy!

Thanks UGA,
Most shot over a bait at exactly 300, but did get one that lasered 456 yds! So pretty fun with the 25/06 using the BlitzKing 90grs at 3300fps ............... total devastation on them , what a wicked load for songdogs!

Man... that's incredible. I've never taken a mutt past 375... at night so distance was a bugger to gauge (it's the only time I hunt yotes anymore). I actually thought he was more like 275 but when we paced it off... he was much further than I originally surmised. It was the first one I've ever not put down right there with the first shot.... he was sitting luckily, so when I tagged him... he started doing spinners out there in the field... so I knew it was way low! Nice shooting NW! Thanks for posting!

Called this nice Male Coyote in across our large open Ridge Field,He came in from the far end as I was using a Rabbit in Distress mouth call....he got about 150 yards away and turned left to drop off the field edge so I mouth barked and He stop to look back when I sent a 55 grain Hornady V-max bullets his way from my Savage Axis XP Camo .223 dropping him in the snow.I was sitting in my 2-man ladder stand while Calling and using the folded down gun rail as my rest.

Attachments

• IMG_1897-1.png
    IMG_1897-1.png
    144.2 KB · Views: 103
Hardly long range....12 yards with a TC Omega .50 cal. but he wasn't easy! Came sneaking through the fog to where I was calling....

1109151031d.jpg

Nice dogs fellas. I think there is just as much to be said getting a yote into 12 yards as there is to shooting him when he can't see you.

Keep them coming!

Excellent guys... man I love this thread because of all of your contributions. Here's my last mutt of the season and the first with my thermal scope. I was actually calling a group of mutts on the far west hill... but it was getting close to pup time and they were just holding up... not coming in for anything. I actually had dog songs to the west, south, and east of my position, but could only see west and south as I'd have given away my position if I tried looking east. My focus was those dawgs on the west side, but I kept checking south just in case. Glad I did, this sneaky bugger came in under deep cover and I probably would not have noticed him had it not been for the thermal. Quick video, as I didn't give him much time to get down and disappear again. Hope you guys enjoy!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWhwLr6HeWs

Thanks DougsCamo!! Yeah... it was a nice one to go out on for the season. Really glad I decided to go out one more time.

After having a chance to use the Thermal Scope for a bit.... I finally have some feel for what I really like about it... as well as those things that could use some improvement, or one might consider if going this route. Will get a video up over the summer specifically on the Apex Thermals.

Thanks for your PM!! Got back at ya on it!!

UGA

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.