Time to buy a Lightweight Elk Rifle

Very nice gun. I got a RBROS 6.5X47 last year and couldn't be happier with the quality and accuracy. As you said I am the weak link and not the rifle.

I weighed the new rifle. Rifle, scope and rings weigh a total of 8 pounds, 19 ounces. Kahles lists the scope at a weight of 33.5 ounces. That leaves the rifle weighing only 6 pounds, 17.5 ounces, less the weight of the rings. Didn't want to disassemble the thing just to weigh the rings, but some other scope rings I have which are similar size weigh 8 ounces for the pair. So, it looks like the rifle weighs about 6 pounds, 9.5 ounces. Not bad for a 300 Win Mag with a 26 inch barrel.

Nice rfle, but 15 shots to foul it reveals a rough bore. Try some light fire-lapping( NECO or Tubbs pre gritted bullets) or even a half day of scrubbing the bore with a tight fitting, JB soaked path. It won't hurt it, either one. If you do the fire-lap, just use about half of the Medium grit and all the Fine grit bullets, about 2600fps. When done, throw those cases away. Good luck to you Pard

Nice rfle, but 15 shots to foul it reveals a rough bore. Try some light fire-lapping( NECO or Tubbs pre gritted bullets) or even a half day of scrubbing the bore with a tight fitting, JB soaked path. It won't hurt it, either one. If you do the fire-lap, just use about half of the Medium grit and all the Fine grit bullets, about 2600fps. When done, throw those cases away. Good luck to you Pard

^Do not do this.

^Do not do this.

Not going to do it.

The rifle has settled in nicely.

Shooting tight groups, holes touching at 100 yards.

Last time I cleaned it, it took 2 rounds to for the groups to tighten up again.

It's just waiting for elk season to start in a few days.

Really liking my RBros rifle.

Working up a new hand load using Reloder 26 and Berger 215 bullets.

Going to go with 76.2 grains of RL26.

Only problem with this rifle is that I can no longer blame my gun for my misses.

30684887923_11b54a50ea_o.jpg

If you are going to shoot a light weight magnum rifle with heavy for caliber bullets then I would suggest reading this and following it to a T. And completely ignore everything shooters typically do and use for the LR game. Bipods, cross arm form, and other standard thoughts are going to give you fits!

Hold that Forend!

This is an excerpt from his purchasable content on this topic. It is excellent!

Scot E.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.