Time for al new brass?

misterc01

I was shooting last weekend, and I had three cases split( one neck, two near the base) when fired. I was using Federal GMM .308 cases with Sierra 168g TMKs with 43.5g IMR4064). They were on their third reload with no pressure or other problem signs on examination (bent paperclip, neck thickness, discolorations, etc.) when initially prepping them. Thoughts on why they are splitting? I started to replace the cases with once-fired Winchester cases, but all the necks on them seem to have a thickness varyiation from .013 - .015. inches, so not sure I want to try and turn the necks any thinner than .013. Thinking I might be better off just chucking them all (about 150 cases) and just get some Lapua or Perterson and start over. Suggestions?

You should not be having trouble with only three firings so if it was just the necks cracking I would say to anneal them but you said about other cracks so time to replace

01, I replaced all the brass for all my rifles several months ago before things got tight. Got Lapua for a couple and Nosler and Norma for the Weatherbys and .270 Win. I anneal religiously and poped several at the base. My decision to rebrass partly due to many firings and due to possible availability in near future. Cost a few dollars, but I now have dependable brass and can use the old as backup.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.