Time for a new barrel

Trnelson

The time has come to replace the barrel on my 6.5-06 built on a savage LA. I am going 6.5-06AI. I'm hoping to get a pre-chambered pipe of at least 28". I love the 140 berger vld hunting bullet so 1 in 8 twist. Weight isn't a concern, I'm not toting this weapon around. My question is which maker? Opinions please....

Contact Northlander on savage shooters.com.
He is good to work with and can get you a barrel from shilen,McGowan,or Krieger criterion.
Prices are different for each and all are good barrels.

Assuming you don't have enough barrel shank to simply set back and clean up old throat with the AI, I would go Hart. My 8 twist 6.5-06 shoots the Berger 140 very well and seem to be a real nice tube.

My current barrel is a 9 twist that only shoots the 140's well when I load close to max. To stabilize fully. Definitely going with at least an 8 twist. I'd also like a to have a couple more inches of barrel to find all the velocity I can find accurately. Any strong opinions on stainless vs not???

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.