tikka threads and other actions?

Proof has a chart online with a drawing of each of the contours offered. They give a dimension to the shank. The ones I've used (dozens this year alone) can sometimes be massaged into another action depending on the length of the shank or find an action with 1" x 16 tpi threads and see if just adjusting the headspace can be made to work. Older Winchester M70 actions, Post-64, have 1" x 16 tpi threads.

however i dont remember the op ever saying it was a factory barrel in the first place

As with most of these questions posed by members regarding taking barrels off, the barrel is usually factory. That was my assumption and incorrect. Who would have guessed that it was a Proof? :oops:

And by the way, I'm not chief. :(

Lol i gather you are some sort of gunsmith but that doesnt give you the right to try and make people look like fools on a public forum at the slightest provocation. I was merely having a discussion.

Now you are suggesting basically the same thing i originally said. Congratulations you won the internet "sand man"

Your barrel may fit an older Sako action; the L61R and similar had threads that were approximately 1" x 16tpi, and I have spoken with a few people who successfully installed barrels with those threads on L61R actions. For that matter, I wonder if the TRG uses the same threads as the modern Tikkas. I would think that they would; I expect that the info is somewhere out there.

Oh my, I guess I hurt your feelings...:rolleyes:;)

Have a nice day!:D

On the contrary. We all love having gunsmiths on the forum. Your experience and ability to answer technical questions is a great asset. Just try not to be such a pompous *** about it. Especially when you have no idea what my background is.

You have yourself a nice day as well

In all seriousness, I find it very difficult on occasion to make my answers read right for everyone's interpretation. The same is true for other folks answers as well. The written word can be a tricky method of communication when we limit our answers to shortened versions for forums. It's all good in the end though.

I have several Tikka rifles with custom barrels. My rifle builder told me the tenon is 25mmX1.5 which is close to 1"x16tpi but not exact. 1"=25.4mm. 1.5mm/25.4mm= .0590. 16 threads/1"= .0625. Close but not exact. He cuts metric treads on my barrels. Either way his work is amazing.

Being the kind of guy I am, I will forgo the lengthy explanation I was writing and substitute an equally long (actually much longer...) discussion from a Benchrest Central thread regarding Sako/Tikka threads. I've read the entire thread before but I read it again because it's fascinating from the standpoint of all the information found and reported. It does get a little tedious in a couple of spots but jump over the ridiculous stuff and read the meaty information.

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?51749-Barrel-thread-for-a-Sako-L461-action

Enjoy!

Ruger are 1 inch x16tpi as well I believe. You might need to make a washer to compensate for the gap between the barrel shoulder and the front of the receiver and to get the headspace right. The tenon of the tikka being longer than most.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts