Tikka T3x - Which factory stock - Walnut or Poly

wapitiaddict

For those who are familiar or own a T3x, which factory stock is better? Are the walnut stocks reliable? Are the poly stocks stiff enough? Which will lead to more consistent groups?

I prefer the look of the Hunter walnut stock, but would I have to worry about the wood stock warping or changing based on weather, humidity, different locations, etc?

I like the weight savings of the Lite/poly stocks, but do they flex and cause accuracy issues? I started out shooting a Savage Axis (super cheap stock). I found out that the stock flexed and significantly threw off the POI when I used the sling rapped around my arm/elbow to steady my aim. The torque of the sling pulling on the forearm swivel stud would flex the stock and cause issues.

And sorry, before you say Manners or McMillan, those aren't in the budget for this rifle. :D

Get with plastic stock. No reason to over pay 200$ for cheap wood. Eurooptic have sale on all tikka's, you can get one now for 560$

Have you looked at the T3x Laminated Stainless? As much money as the Wood Stock's but resists the warping/ changing due to weather as you mentioned. Ofcourse, it is not as light weight as the poly.

Wood can warp, but I've seen some nice wood stocked tikkas. If you find a nice one and have pillars installed and bedded and every part of the wood sealed, it'll serve you well, but occasionally the odd stock can warp, but I've only seen it on 30+ year old guns

Have you looked at the T3x Laminated Stainless? As much money as the Wood Stock's but resists the warping/ changing due to weather as you mentioned. Ofcourse, it is not as light weight as the poly.

Thanks all for the feedback. Maybe I'll give the poly stock a try, but if that doesn't seem to be working,I order a Boyd's laminate so that I can get a custom fit, anyhow.

Tikka synthetic stocks are surprisingly rigid. They aren't the most attractive thing in the world but they really aren't a bad stock. Compared to a Savage Axis stock they are night and day different.

I have a t3 lite, I bought a walnut stock from eBay for $100. She's a thing of beauty, only mod was a steel lug. Gun shot great with the poly, I just like the looks of stainless on walnut.

I have a factory T3x superlite in 7mm rem mag and i love the stock! if you dont want to go a factory, Bell & Carlson do a great aftermarket one. As mentioned above, upgrading the recoil lug is a good modification.

If the factory walnut is $200 extra, try the plastic first. If the flex is there go with a Boyd's for less than $200 and be sure to check the inletting and be sure to bed it!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.