Tikka T3x CTR or Varmint

jwhunter

Planning on getting either in a 6.5 creedmor and put it in a mcmillan stock. Just curious everyone's experience with either model and preferences. Granted I know there's differences in barrel contour and dbm.
Thanks!

I guess my other question is I have a good price to pickup a new stainless ctr 20" not sure if I'm going to sacrifice a whole lot to a 24"

24" would be my vote- the weight won't hurt and neither will a little bit of added velocity, especially if you're setting it up to be a LR gun. I don't even know if I'd replace the stock TBH.

I went with the new Rem 783 Heavy Barrel-- 6.5cm, 24". I can get a Boyds stock and DBM and still be a few hundred under where you are at with a CTR before adding an McM. But the 783s I've had before any additions have all shot incredibly well.

All that said-- the Tikkas are a helluva gun. I think my decision would be driven by my aftermarket stock options. I know there are differences between the CTR bottom metal and normal Tikka bottom metal. You'll need to decide what BM and mags you will run and in what stock before you pick either model.

24" would be my vote- the weight won't hurt and neither will a little bit of added velocity, especially if you're setting it up to be a LR gun. I don't even know if I'd replace the stock TBH.

I went with the new Rem 783 Heavy Barrel-- 6.5cm, 24". I can get a Boyds stock and DBM and still be a few hundred under where you are at with a CTR before adding an McM. But the 783s I've had before any additions have all shot incredibly well.

All that said-- the Tikkas are a helluva gun. I think my decision would be driven by my aftermarket stock options. I know there are differences between the CTR bottom metal and normal Tikka bottom metal. You'll need to decide what BM and mags you will run and in what stock before you pick either model.

Thanks for all the info. I guess it boils down to price differences between the ctr and varmint. I personally like the ergonomics and quality of the Mcm stocks compared to the ctr/t3x stocks. Granted on the varmint model trade out to dbm aics mags.

Mostly plinking also be a lr deer/sheep gun for the wife. Probably won't throw a can on it just a brake.
Question I have a Tikka T3X in 308 with a brake I find too load. Which is better cut and crown the 20" barrel or use a thread protector? Just a deer rifle for the bush.

A thread protector would do nicely. You may need to check your zero or fine tune your load after changing things. The difference can be surprising. I'm not familiar with the thread pitch you have but you can measure it and purchase accordingly. I had my T3 30-06 Hunter muzzle threaded to 9/16x24 for a custom brake and suppressor since there was not enough barrel to go 5/8x24.

A thread protector would do nicely. You may need to check your zero or fine tune your load after changing things. The difference can be surprising. I'm not familiar with the thread pitch you have but you can measure it and purchase accordingly. I had my T3 30-06 Hunter muzzle threaded to 9/16x24 for a custom brake and suppressor since there was not enough barrel to go 5/8x24.
Thanks

I have the varmint in 223 and the CTR in 308. The varmint is not very carry-able if that's important. It shoots under .5 Mia at 300m but I haven't tried it further yet. I just got the ctr last fall but haven't got it much below 1moa at 100! I'm just starting to look for a load, hunter67wa can you post or pm yours? All caveats for handloading apply of course.

I have the CTR in 260, shooting 1/3 moa at better than 2800 fps. I'm using Berger 130 OTM. I didn't think it would be possible to get that MV from a 20 inch barrel.