Tikka T3X 7mm mag hunting bullet advice

I found the post forgiving and accurate load with Tikka T3x 7rem mag is the Sierra 160gr Gameking. I used H4831sc with different COAL and powder charges and all were accurate.

Max 300 yards, hogs & deer
120 ttsx as fast as you can possibly shoot them.
You'll be amazed how well they kill at your intended range. No range finder needed or dialing needed , point , shoot , kill.

You should be able to do 3500 fps easy.
200 yard zero drop at 300 is only 4.6",
2736 fps , 1964 ft/lb. At my elevation of 2450'

Last edited:
120 ttsx as fast as you can possibly shoot them.
You'll be amazed how well they kill at your intended range. No range finder needed or dialing needed , point , shoot , kill.

You should be able to do 3500 fps easy
I shoot 120 BT out of Weatherby Ultralight. Deadly

For an all purpose bullet in my 7STW, I've been running a Nosler 150g BT as we have the same animals where I hunt; hogs and smallish deer. For the bigger stuff, have been using Nosler 168g ABLR for LR hits and am very impressed with the performance. Wish I could get my hands on some Accubonds, but there's none to be had here.

Cheers.

I have 7RM in a 9.5 twist. It limits you on some of the long mono's. I like trying different pills and powder combo's just to see the results. The 131HH had the most consistent results, but this can vary by rifle. Previous 7RM loved 160 AB's and H4831. I'm still searching for the best combo on 8 twist 280AI. Those BD2 150's are up next, but it's going to be hard to beat the 143HH.

As you can see, about every bullet out there will get recommended. Under 300 yards. About anything will really work. If you want exits on the hogs, might want to stick with partitions, or bonded stuff like terminal ascent, swift scirocco, swift a frame, norma bondtrike or oryx, accubond or the mono metal like barnes and hammer. With the Tikka 9.5 twist, the really heavy stuff likely won't stabilize. The 175 partition is on the fence, since it's a short 175.
As for loading just off the lands like has been recommended, you might not get there in the Tikka. The shorter bullets might not be in the neck enough to reach the lands, or you could run out of magazine before you get there. I do very well with most bullets well off the lands and find much larger sweet spots away from them. Food for thought there.
Good luck with it, let us know how it works out.
If you get fed up with it, we have a pile of options available in 7 rem mag, or we can do the work for you. Or feel free to call and chat about it.
Pretty cool when an ammo manufacturer gives free advice to a private reloader, thanks for the sage advice.

I used the old 160 Barnes X bullet in my 7RM. Never had to shoot twice on elk, oryx, or aoudad. I would use AMax bullets to sight in because they were less expensive and more accurate than the Barnes. Never knew to try them on game.

I now shoot a 7mm WSM. I use 168 gr. Berger VLDs, because they are the most accurate in my rifle. I like heavier bullets because the extra weight ensures more penetration. I've used them on everything form javelina to elk with great results. I load them light (2850 fps) to mitigate recoil in my 5-1/2 lb. rifle.

In my really light TC Contender, I used the Barnes 120 TTSX at about 2400 fps in a 7-30 Waters for aoudad. Four one shot kills. Longest shot 230 yards.

Nowadays, I load the bullets I can find, and buy several hundred when I do find them.