Tikka t3x superlite coal bullet tip damage

Tac-O

Hey all,

I have a t3x super lite in .30 06 and have been shooting handloaded Sierra prohunter spritzers with a col of either 3.25 or 3.35 (I can't remember and don't have my book in front of me). Whatever my col is, the bullet tip is about 1 or 2 mm from the wall of the inside of the magazine when loaded.

I just recently noticed that when I have a couple rounds in the magazine and fire a round, the recoil of the gun is causing damage to the tip of the bullets in the magazine.

I've done some internet searching, and on this forum, and can't find any good fixes other than single loading the gun or shortening the col. I think I may have seen something about a tactical style aftermarket magazine that gives more room, but I don't want to use a tac style magazine.

Has anyone come up with any creative, simple solutions?

For every action there's an opposite, but equal reaction.
Lightweight gun=less mass=faster recoil pulse=damaged tips. Short of adding weight, maybe a muzzle brake will effect the recoil pulse enough to stop the bullet deformation.

Is it affe thing your accuracy? Or just visually bothering you?
Dont those lead tipped bullets just melt in the air when fired anyway?:rolleyes:

Is it affe thing your accuracy? Or just visually bothering you?
Dont those lead tipped bullets just melt in the air when fired anyway?:rolleyes:

I have noticed the groups to seem to be slightly larger and varied when I've shot with the magazine loaded... I haven't done an exhaustive test to see if that is the case.

But, why wouldn't it affect the accuracy between 100 and 400 yd? If we're talking about half MOA groups or less, then it stands to reason a deformed tip would affect that accuracy a noticeable amount.

It doesn't visually bother me, but I'd like to fix that issue for peace of mind.

I know that Hornady found some of the tips were melting on the faster cartridges, but does that actually happen with lead? I haven't heard or read anything about that.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.