Ammo Recc's: Tikka .300 win mag (T3x Superlite) with 1:11 twist

I have shot these in a 30-06 with a 1-11.25 twist. They shot well. I shot the 175 LRX in it as well and it was not very stable. I doubt the 200 anything mono would be. If you want to spend some serious $$$ there are custom companies that will load for you.

I would go with a box of those Berger's 185s and not look back.

The factory Hornady Eldx 200gr load is what I use in my Tikka 300wm. Bang flopped a moose at 620 and had a clean exit wound. If I was to hand load for this rifle i would use the same bullet.

Don't worry about twist too much. Especially if shooting factory ammo. I'm not aware of any 300 win mag factory ammo that wouldn't work fine with an 11 twist.

my 300 win pet load for now uses a 225 eld m. It's one ragged hole accurate in my 10 twist. Very hard to believe that you'd have any trouble 210-215 and under with an 11.

Twist rate, and gyroscopic stability relate to the LENGTH of the projectile, not the MASS.

It's important to keep this in mind when considering copper 'mono's'.

Gyroscopic stability (SG) is important when it comes to getting the bullet to target, as that is what keeps the projectile from tumbling in flight. At lower altitude, in colder air, atmospherics can play a surprisingly big role as well.

SG can also be a factor in terminal performance, and will help ensure straight line penetration.

Here is a stability calculator for anyone interested in running their own numbers;

Twist rate, and gyroscopic stability relate to the LENGTH of the projectile, not the MASS.

It's important to keep this in mind when considering copper 'mono's'.

Gyroscopic stability (SG) is important when it comes to getting the bullet to target, as that is what keeps the projectile from tumbling in flight. At lower altitude, in colder air, atmospherics can play a surprisingly big role as well.

SG can also be a factor in terminal performance, and will help ensure straight line penetration.

Here is a stability calculator for anyone interested in running their own numbers;

Amen! 220 round noses have no problems with 12 twists if not even slower, vlds of that weight would be unlikely to work.

Phil,
Sorry I can't give you any help with an ammo recommendation. I own a T3x superlite myself and it is a great dinky little rifle in .243. Its so lite even in .243 it jumps a bit. I can't imagine the recoil in 300 Win. Mag. How are you taming that big old recoil?
I have a few Tikka and don't shoot any of them enough.
I put my .300wm barrelled action into a factory Laminate stock. It has a Limbsaver pad and it seems OK. My first .300wm was a Ruger with a Ramline stock and some soft pad. It seemed OK. It was maybe heavier.

I have Limbsaver pads on others. They make a noticeable difference if you have a rifle that you find uncomfortable I would say they are worth trying.

I sight in everything over the bench no Leadsled. Recoil can seem sharp when sitting with the rifle coming squarely right at you but when I shoot them in the field or even from the car I've managed the recoil on the few shots. Yes there is muzzle jump but if I'm on target and drop the animal all is good. I shoot pests so taking a pig, fox or Dingo from the vehicle is still fair game.

I have a Sako 85 Finnlight 300WM that runs the same 11 twist barrel as the Tikka. I tried reloading a good selection of 180gr class projectiles and couldn't get any of them to shoot.

Once I moved up to Berger 210 HVLDs groups tightened up to sub 0.5MOA and I have shot them out to 1km on targets with good results.

I also tried some 215gr hybrids and quickly got them shooting tight groups, but I expect in the 11 twist they are losing some of the BC.

Don't be afraid to try some heavier projectiles if you can get hold of them.

Also, I know a number of people running Tikka T3s in 300WM and 7mmRM that run two loads, a long range load that they load long and single feed and 'spook and shoot' load that is loaded to fit the magazine for shorter range shots when speed is of the essence and dialling isn't required.

Ed
Good advice...thanks...

Is the 1 in 10" twist on all 2021 T3X? The sportsman warehouse website still shows 1 in 11".
Not sure, it my guess is that the 1-11" Tikka's were manufactured turned before the change. I ordered my 1-10" on 2/7/21 and I'm pretty sure the change was made right around that time...the guy at Euro Optic said that Tikka had recently made the change...

Not sure, it my guess is that the 1-11" Tikka's were manufactured turned before the change. I ordered my 1-10" on 2/7/21 and I'm pretty sure the change was made right around that time...the guy at Euro Optic said that Tikka had recently made the change...

That's good to hear they are updating their twist rates. Did you receive your rifle yet?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.