Tikka T3 trigger overtravel adjustment

SOUTHPAWSHOOTER10

Does anyone know if there is a way to improve the trigger on the Tikka T3? I have made the necessary adjustment for pull weight, but the the overtravel is driving me nuts, guess I got spoiled with rem. and win. triggers.

I have the same question. The trigger is not too bad in terms of weight of pull, and sear engagement, but you nailed it about the overtravel. It just gives me the creeps.

biggy rat

I assume that there is no fix since no one has replied to this question, and i don't think there are many tikka fans on this forum. Other than tikkamike. Lol

Probably right. Or the only solution is an after-market trigger. When you consider the recoil pad that comes on the T3 (a piece of junk), and the rings (not the best), that rifle has to shoot like a scalded cat to really be a good buy. Maybe mine will, have not shot it yet.

Paying for a trigger and installation would drive the price for the rifle only into the $1000 range.

The sling swivels look serviceable but I probably won't use them.

By the way, mine is a LH too.

biggy rat

Thanks tac, as i thought, just wasn't sure if i was missing something obvious. As for bullets i am currently using hornady sst. I haven't tried any of the barnes bullets because i just hunt whitetail with it and don't think the extra cost is worth it for me. My cal. Is 300 wsm, while recoil is not brutal i did have to modify my bench technique to get sub moa groups, (probably should have bought the 308).

Thanks tac, as i thought, just wasn't sure if i was missing something obvious. As for bullets i am currently using hornady sst. I haven't tried any of the barnes bullets because i just hunt whitetail with it and don't think the extra cost is worth it for me. My cal. Is 300 wsm, while recoil is not brutal i did have to modify my bench technique to get sub moa groups, (probably should have bought the 308).

Change your recoil pad. The OEM is rubber coated plastic. I put on a limbsaver, so now it is like my 308 (or at least a '06).

if memory serves me the t3 trigger doesn't have an overtravel adjustment ,but what i have done in the past is drill and tap the trigger guard and install a set screw directly behind the trigger blade. once done you can crank in the set screw to minimize overtravel without affecting the trigger assy. a very economical fix if you have the ability.

That is exactly what i had planned on doing, just haven't done it yet. I was a little concerned with the trigger guard being plastic, " yes i said plastic not polymer", and how well a trigger stopscrew would work in that situation. Thanks for the advice.

The Tikka T3 trigger is pretty good for a $650 rifle, I'd say. But if you want a better one, you might try Jardinc.com The are the only place I found that sells an aftermarket trigger for a T3. I tried a Timney - they said it would fit, but it did not. Jard sells upgrade parts for the existing trigger group, or a full replacement for a few bucks more. They say the trigger pull can be set down to 14 oz. I haven't bought one, but have experienced the issues others have noted on the stock unit. Still, my 300wsm T3 with the stock trigger can fairly regularly shoot 1/2 moa 3-shot groups. (I have a couple 3/8" groups. The rifle is more precise than I am, I hate to admit). If I do buy one I'll re-post and tell how well I liked it. If someone else does first, how about letting the rest of us know?

Also, someone said the 300wsm recoil was not brutal. Compared to what? I bought a Limbsaver pad and found it to be a limb saver (ok that was stupid, but true). Call me a weenie, but the best money I spent was the OPS muzzle break from E. Aurthur Brown. I can shoot 50 HOT loads in an afternoon in a light shirt, and my shoulder doesn't turn black and blue - like it did with the stock gun after I first bought it and tried to put a box of shells through it. And, when I take it to the range now and touch off the first round, the guy next to me invariably says "what the hell have you got there?". Those muzzle breaks direct a lot of pressure back and to the side of you. No kidding. They FEEL the concussion. ha ha. I love that.

Muzzle brakes are not an option for me, the extra noise directed to the shooter and bystanders are not worth the benefits imo, i know guys who absolutely love them and don't want to shoot without them, and i can say of the ones i have shot, recoil sensation was definately reduced. However saying all that i am not shooting 1000+ yards that some of you guys are able to do. 600 yards is still long range to me and if recoil is bothersome i'll just switch to a more docile caliber and learn to use it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.