Remington 700 trigger adjustment ??

If you look closely I believe it has. Look around the 3:30 minute mark. He says he lost the Allen screw. I certainly agree with the other posters that an aftermarket trigger is best, but you can make the Mark X better than it is coming from the factory.

Last edited:
AND you are right ! Once you really get into it is (drum roll) a Walker trigger w/o the dual sear and lots of epoxy.

The usual three adjustments are there, just all gummed up with nasty epoxy.

I left the sear engagement and overtravel alone as they were okay.

I cleaned the epoxy out of the trigger pull allen screw hole, the lower one on the front, and backed it out.

Instantly 3 pounds ! I then played around with that screw and the new one on the trigger and ended up with 2 pounds, 8 ounces.

Crisp and tight as good as my 721s and 722s.

There is one thing odd about this action (from when it came out of the box) is that lifting and dropping the bolt handle does NOT cock it as do all my 721/2s. The bolt must be move to the rear just a bit to cock it. Is that right or do the engaging surfaces (sear and cocking piece) need to be stoned back a skosh ? (NO I'm not sending it back to Big Green).

Of course I went and ordered the Timney before fully understanding what I had.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

My bolt handle works just as yours. I did eventually replace the trigger with a Timney BR unit because I built it into a 6mm BR and felt I needed a 10 oz one. But for hunting or casual shooting the Mark X at 2lb 5oz worked good.

I have seen a few Big Green triggers that should have never left the factory in that condition.
A friend brought me a Sendaro I did not have a scale I could check the pull. The rifle, scope and sling could be picked up by the trigger. Tied 1lb. beans to sling, Could still pick up by trigger. Added 2nd pound of beans to sling could not pick up by trigger, Somewhere around 14 lb. trigger. Took the trigger apart the sear contacts looked like a set of miniature pipe wrench jaws. After some stone work I got the trigger to a crisp 3 lb. he was a happy camper with the rifle.

The old walker trigger was easy to tune to those who could read. The new one is just an epoxyied all to heck Walker. Easy to fix with dental picks and a torch. I note they are very cheap on Ebay. I have mine down to to 2 lbs with no slam fire.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.