X Mark Trigger Adjustment

NoFences

Is there any new procedure developments on tuning the X Mark trigger ? All of the searches I have located are several years old . I recently purchased a used (new this year) 700 Long Range stainless in .300 Win. I can't get the trigger to adjust below 3 3/4 lbs . I haven't adjusted the epoxied screw on the front of the trigger housing yet as I have not seen any specifics on the amount of adjustment to reduce the poundage. I also read where shooters were getting slam fires after making this adjustment......

I also see old postings where Ernie the gunsmith sells a replacement spring, but I haven't seen any posts where a shooter has used one with success.

I read where someone sprayed One Shot into the trigger mechanism to lube it, but I haven't read any other postings where it improved anything....

Lastly I know I can and should replace the trigger but I just drained the well with the gun, scope, bullets, powder , etc... and I'd like to try and get the trigger down below 3lbs if possible before I try to develop a load for it.

If you've had any success with your X-Mark tuning, I'd appreciate any info you can share.

Thank you

Look on ebay for a old style remington trigger. You can usually find one for $40-50. As soon as you have it in hand ebay the x-mark. You should be able to get $25-35 for it pretty easy so you will have next to nothing in it and it's fully adjustable. It usually takes me about a hour to polish all the internal parts by hand and adjust one to my liking.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts