Tikka T3 HB Varmint Stainless 7mmRM for Long Range?

Pembina valley area. Close to the border. Is it between arborg and Winnipeg?
What distances u r shooting with what scope?

Last edited:
Actually, I'm in Arborg. As for distances, I'm shooting at 400 yds at the moment... still getting used to it. I do hope to get back to the 800 yd mark sometime in the future. Scope I'm using is a 6-24 40 Bushnell elite. For the price of it, it's ok...nothing spectacular though. In the future I will be getting something better but still within a budget.

We were planning actually to visit relatives in arborg during laborday.
Never been there before but I saw some nice crownland up there. Was thinking to check it out during the visit. We should keep in touch gun) :D
PS: It's new for me too, so don't worry. :)

Ok guys, now comes the big question.... What would be the my choice of ammo?
I'll later do some reloading but not yet. I don't think ill go this season on bear and moose but who knows... Probably first lots of target practise and then deer hunting. Please help I'm getting the rifle tomorrow ....

For your initial sighting in and break in, run of the mill Federal will do fine. Pick a nominal weight and go with that for a beginning. Once you feel the rifle is broke in (won't take long on the Tikka stainless barrel), then you can choose something fitting to your situation.

YEEEEESSSS....:) Saturday I got the gun and this evening the scope. Yyyeeeeah! As soon I've everything assembled, l'll load a picture up. Took accidently expensive bullets for 60$. Want to get a get a reloading kit before the box is empty. Some say just get the 130$ kit from Lee, others found it better to buy separate. But this is New territory for me.

Ok. I bought something wrong I'm afraid. The weaver base doesn't fit. Extended multi slot 20 moa. The holes doesn't line up ... the whole thing looks wrong. It's for remys says the package :( aaargg...
Hope I can get something here in town. Before I do another mistake... What suggests do u have. I was just looking to get the 20 moa and it has to fit my weaver rings.

On mine I used the Leupold bases and rings with no issues.

Base Pt# 54447 About $28.00

Ring Pt# 49901 About $35.00

Now, the numbers are Leupolds numbers and are for a "Medium" set of rings and two piece bases that left me with about 3/16 of an inch clearance with my 40mm objective. If you're using a larger objective, you might want to step up to the taller rings. As far as durability and movement, I have about 300 rounds on them and they haven't moved.
Your other option would be a 20moa picatinny rail... but it would have to be ordered in.

https://tikkaperformance.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=156_59_65&product_id=446

Another option would be the Tikka OptiLock rings.... but I haven't seen any good reviews about them. Doesn't mean they're bad, just that the only news I have on them isn't good.
A final option would be the Talley lightweight rings. They will set you back about $50.00

I wouldn't fret none though... the parts are out there. It all boils down to just how patient you are and how soon you wanna be shooting.

Hi how did the Varmint 7 mm rem mag shoot for you? and where did you get it. I can't find one in B.C. I have the T3 in 300wsm and 7-08 and they are both .5 MOA. I suspect the varmint would be awesome? details please.
Thanks Paul

cabelas Winnipeg. Had not much time to break it in last year just enough for hunting season. started reloading right away. shoots seemed pretty steady while working zeroing the scope. sometimes just 1/8 apart. I wouldn't be surprised ti get groups within .5 moa. Can't wait till its get warmer... :)

Hi how did the Varmint 7 mm rem mag shoot for you? and where did you get it. I can't find one in B.C. I have the T3 in 300wsm and 7-08 and they are both .5 MOA. I suspect the varmint would be awesome? details please.
Thanks Paul

If your in BC Corlanes should have the tikka T3 Varmint. That's where I got mine and put a 6.5-284 26" pac nor barrel on it. It shoots great but I wouldn't want to pack it all day hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.