Tikka T3 Varmint, stainless, or Super varmint. Opinions please

7stw

Guys, I've been in the market for a 308, for a while. Up til now, I've mostly had green blood flowing through my veins, but I'm not gonna play that game this time.

I've looked at about every normal gun, and was recommended by a friend to check this thing out. Well, to say the least, I'm very impressed, with what I've read, I've owned a few Sakos, in the past.
The one in interested in is the Varmint model, stainless, in 308, 24 inch barrel. They also have a super model, but I'll see what the options, and price is.
So, I'm reaching out to all the Tikka lovers, and shooters, and fill me in. Im told it can be had for around $800.
The super varmint, comes with the pic rail, and a larger mag.
Help me out guys!
As ALWAYS, thanks in advance.

There's also the tikka ctr which comes with a 24" barrel now. They're nice rifles, personally I'd get the regular varmit or ctr and restock it.
The tikkas I've shot have been great shooting rifles
Just depends what you want

Last edited:
The 308 I have is a Savage 10FCP-SR. It comes with 24" barrel and is threaded suppressor ready.
It has Accutrigger and Accustock.
I am a Savage freak but this one out shoots a 22-250,220Swift(poorboy custom)
25-06 and 257Roberts(another poorboy custom). Give it a look!

Buy it you won't regret it assuming you can still find the super varmint in 24" 308. If so, lmk where they still have them. You may want to replace the stock so factor that possible cost in. The CTR 308 is 20". I own one and very happy with it. If not the Remington 5R with the HS.

Good rifles. First one sold me on a second one.
My friend, has the fancy tac one, with the chassis. I dont want that. The super, in, stainless, really impresses me, but would settle for the standard varminter. I'm told the twist, is 1-11, which is fine, it will stabilize, the 185's just fine. I really want to shoot some 178ELD's, or 175 JLK's through it.
Been looking to get back into the 308 game for some time now.
And with what's going on with big green, I'm not going down that road.

Ps, another friend of mine, has a Tikka T3, lite, that thinks a varmint rifle. Bug hole groups, with anything you feed it.

I had a 75, in 7STW that shot lites out . These are my reasons for even considering something non domestic.
My friend that has the fancy TACTICAL model, in 6 5 creed, is insanely accurate, he shoots only factory ammo.
Hmmmmm!

There's also the tikka ctr which comes with a 24" barrel now. They're nice rifles, personally I'd get the regular varmit or ctr and restock it.
The tikkas I've shot have been great shooting rifles
Just depends what you want
I like that one too. If it's avail in 24 inch barrel, that ones worth a look too.
If not, i think I will like the standard varmint model, 24 inch barrel.

My friend, has the fancy tac one, with the chassis. I dont want that. The super, in, stainless, really impresses me, but would settle for the standard varminter. I'm told the twist, is 1-11, which is fine, it will stabilize, the 185's just fine. I really want to shoot some 178ELD's, or 175 JLK's through it.
Been looking to get back into the 308 game for some time now.
And with what's going on with big green, I'm not going down that road.
You'll be missing out... The 5R Milspec models are not your standard 700. Also, I shoot Berger 210/215 out of my 11.25" twist 5R .308 Win.

I don't have any custom actions, but the Tikka blows the green out of the water. Yes, I do also have a 700 in .300 rum that is a sub moa rifle out to 1100 yards, but the Tikka action is so much nicer. I used to be a Winnie guy, until I bought my first Tikka.

I don't have any custom actions, but the Tikka blows the green out of the water. Yes, I do also have a 700 in .300 rum that is a sub moa rifle out to 1100 yards, but the Tikka action is so much nicer. I used to be a Winnie guy, until I bought my first Tikka.
If, i could find a used remmys nineties era, I'd buy it, no question. Those rifles shot well. I've had some that were custom shop accurate, but those are gone, or shot out.
Just didn't like some of the other options, although, Browning has some beauties now.
The Tikka comes to the top.

My issue with going with the remmy, at this point, would be if I needed factory service. Then what? To many ifs!
Remington will not be going anywhere. They'll just file, then someone else will buy the company debt. Nothing else is going to change. Huge corporations do this all the time. Savage has a few times, so has Marlin, Winchester, and others. Nothing new here.

Also, I'd NEVER send any rifle back to the manufacturer for repair, unless it's something like a one-off custom Holland & Holland, Kreighoff, or something expensive like that. I'd find a good reputable gunsmith in your local area, and if you have any issues, go see him. You'll most likely have to pay money to fix the issue, but it will be done quicker and better than the manufacturer...That goes for ANY manufacturer with mass-produced rifles, not just Remington or anyone specific.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.