Tikka T3 Bolt won't come out

Barr1911

I tried to open the bolt on my Tikka T3 and it won't open. I dropped a cleaning rod in the barrel and could feel the bolt face move and loosen but I suspect the lugs aren't turning quite enough to retract the bolt. Is there something else that it could be hung up on? I don't want to wrench off the barrel if there is something simple I'm missing? Any thoughts?

Is it possible the rear action screw that goes through the stock and comes up through the tang near the bolt is sticking up too far and locking the bolt in place or preventing it from coming back to open? My Wby Mk V screw was a little too long and was striking the bottom of the bolt. Maybe try loosening that rear action screw to see if that allows you to open the bolt. OR the scope base screws for the bases might be protruding into the area of the raceway and contacting the bolt.

I tried to open the bolt on my Tikka T3 and it won't open. I dropped a cleaning rod in the barrel and could feel the bolt face move and loosen but I suspect the lugs aren't turning quite enough to retract the bolt. Is there something else that it could be hung up on? I don't want to wrench off the barrel if there is something simple I'm missing? Any thoughts?
Check the front action screw for any interference. Just a thought.

Paul

More info might help. Stock rifle? Did you buy it new? Used? Rebarreled? Tikka headspace nut setup?

Or, When was last time rifle was fired? Did this happen after firing a reload? After firing factory load? After cleaning? (Patch caught in lugs can be SOB), Bolt cycled fine before this happened? What were the previous actions taken right up to this problem. New stock? New action screws?

I am sure someone on LRH can help with more info.

Funny reminder story how at times it is the minor things we don't think about much. My brothers elk rifle 700 BDL we put a BC fiberglass and foam stock on in the 80's. It settled enough just this last year the front action screw barely was ticking the left side lug. (LH action) He argued with me "it has been in this stock for almost 40 years something else is wrong" until I turned the screw another tiny amount and he could not unlock the bolt only move it a little.

1639769537613.png

Thank you for all the suggestions from all of you. I hope I can answer your questions correctly. The rifle was new when it was given to me for a tip, so I have a good history with it. I am shooting reloads, pushing a Barnes 100 gr. TSX, 3260 fps with slight primer flattening is the only sign of pressure. I've run 3 or 4 hundred rounds through it. About 3 weeks before ran 5 rounds through it to check zero and foul the barrel. Ran across a speed goat and it wasn't what I was looking for so I emptied it; then took a couple of dry-fires at it, because I was all dressed up and wanted to see how it would have worked out and the action was working fine and smooth. Threw it under the seat came home. Went to check it before I put it away and the bolt handle would lift but the bolt wouldn't retract. As I said before dropped a cleaning rod down and could feel the bolt turn and loosen as I move the bolt up and down. Pulled the stock and couldn't see any problems, still didn't work, pulled the scope bounced it around blew compressed air where I could. I've been trying to find my barrel vise, but I can't remember where I've put it or who I borrowed it too. It's hell getting old and feeble-minded. I also would like to wish you a Merry Christmas!

6.5CM?
Flattened primers is a "possible" sign of pressure depending on a lot of factors but I would suggest backing load down nevertheless.
So it cycled fine with dry fire and then it was locked up?
Sounds like "something" got into action thus the lugs and is binding bolt up.
Bolt Lugs greased? Severe Galling can be an issue here as result.
Does the front bolt go up to lug recesses? If so, pull bolt and saturate/soak the crap of the area with Kroil. It will work into all areas of the lug recess. It might just do the trick.

Yes, it cycled fine with dry fire and then it locked up.
No grease, I just use a light cloth slightly damped with mineral oil, just enough to displace moisture leave a film of oil, but not enough to feel oily to the touch, so dust doesn't accumulate easily.
I think you're right about some crap on the lugs, but I think I will try using some brake cleaner first, with the bolt closed. That may dislodge the crap on the backside of the lug, which I think it is hung up on and allow the lugs to totally disengage. I can't screw up! I don't know what I'm doing :)