Tikka T3 Accuracy Issues

bradbeer

Hi guys,
This is my first time posting here, rather than just lurking. Great website!
I am fairly new to this gun but, I have a tikka T3 in a 25-06 and am having accuracy issues.
It shot okay with factory ammo when I first got it. Now I am reloading for it. I started loading with Nosler Ballistic tips, they shot fairly well but I could get a good group with the occasional high flyer. I had a hard time getting a good supply of bullets but found a good supply of Nosler ballistic silver tips that I started to hand load. Unfortunately, accuracy just kept getting worse.
Upon doing some research, I thought my issues may be around how clean the barrel is. Upon inspection, I found it to be quite fouled. So I cleaned it as best I could. (still some slight copper streaks on the lands)
Yesterday I went to the range. I borrowed a friend’s Coronagraph. I found the muzzle velocities quite puzzling. I shot 10 rounds and got two errors. Here were my valocities:
This is my load:
50 gr IMR4350
115Grain Nosler Ballistic Silver Tip
Winchester Large Magnum Primer

Is the increasing velocity due to the lubalox coating building in the barrel that is increasing my velocities? Would shooting a few more rounds have worked my velocities to a more consistent rate? My accuracy is obviously off with those inconsistent velocities.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Brad

gohring3006

LRH Team Member
Hi guys,
This is my first time posting here, rather than just lurking. Great website!
I am fairly new to this gun but, I have a tikka T3 in a 25-06 and am having accuracy issues.
It shot okay with factory ammo when I first got it. Now I am reloading for it. I started loading with Nosler Ballistic tips, they shot fairly well but I could get a good group with the occasional high flyer. I had a hard time getting a good supply of bullets but found a good supply of Nosler ballistic silver tips that I started to hand load. Unfortunately, accuracy just kept getting worse.
Upon doing some research, I thought my issues may be around how clean the barrel is. Upon inspection, I found it to be quite fouled. So I cleaned it as best I could. (still some slight copper streaks on the lands)
Yesterday I went to the range. I borrowed a friend’s Coronagraph. I found the muzzle velocities quite puzzling. I shot 10 rounds and got two errors. Here were my valocities:
This is my load:
50 gr IMR4350
115Grain Nosler Ballistic Silver Tip
Winchester Large Magnum Primer

Is the increasing velocity due to the lubalox coatiang building in the barrel that is increasing my velocities? Would shooting a few more rounds have worked my velocities to a more consistent rate? My accuracy is obviously off with those inconsistent velocities.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Brad
What convinced you to use a mag primer? My best guess would put you around 3000 fps with a 24in barrel. I would try a Large rifle primer first, and if that doesn't help it would be a different powder for me... I never did like that lubalox coating. Also, I would try to get another Chrony to confirm the extremely large spreads... Some of those velocities make wonder about very high chamber pressure....

MOA Chaser

Nosler No. 7 has max load with IMR 4350 listed at 49 grains for 115 grain BST. With a magnum primer you may be pushing it even further. I would go with a WLR primer and start around 45-46 grains and work you way up in 1/2 grain increments.

bradbeer

Nosler No. 7 has max load with IMR 4350 listed at 49 grains for 115 grain BST. With a magnum primer you may be pushing it even further. I would go with a WLR primer and start around 45-46 grains and work you way up in 1/2 grain increments.

Thanks,
I started working my loads up from 47 grains. I saw the Nosler load data too. The Hogden site says max 52 grains for a max Velocity of 3106. I have no pressure issues such as liquified primers or stiff bolt. I am sure 3500 is too much. Has nayone used a chroni starting with a clean barrel and these Silver tips?

Thanks,
Brad

aaroncarp

My buddy has a T3 .308 win. He had average accuracy with it out of the box but then he put about 100 bucks into it with some parts from tikkaperfomance.com, they make a kit that replaces all the cheesy plastic pieces like the bolt shroud, and some type of recoil lug upgrade too.

I doubt that helps much if the gun is still almost new but he saw incredibly increased accuracy.

I also just checked the website, and their kit is now $200 but it might be worth it.

bradbeer

My buddy has a T3 .308 win. He had average accuracy with it out of the box but then he put about 100 bucks into it with some parts from tikkaperfomance.com, they make a kit that replaces all the cheesy plastic pieces like the bolt shroud, and some type of recoil lug upgrade too.

I doubt that helps much if the gun is still almost new but he saw incredibly increased accuracy.

I also just checked the website, and their kit is now $200 but it might be worth it.

Thanks! I have the Pillar/recoil kit. It is installed!!!
It has a titanium recoil lug and a set of aluminum pillars. Its a very nice kit from Lumley Arms.

pods8

I suspect something go messed up in the chrono positioning causing funky readings later (or sunlight screwing with things) I doubt those readings are real (assuming you weight your powder accurately).

Also what are you using to clean that you couldn't get it clean? My tikka (in 7-08) cleans up quite fast (compared to my 700 for instance), I use patchout typically (but everyone has their favorite).

Lefty7mmstw

I'd go with a bit slower powder. My Pops is using I4831 in his 25-06 with a 100grain bullet, and the 115- 120 grain bullets can make use of even slower powders. The magnum primer is a non issue if you account for it in your load.

hodgdon is using a 117 hdy bullet, not the 115 nosler. and they are using a standard primer in their data.

I would say you either have a poor chrono or a sticky scale as 400 fps is a monster velocity variation.

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.

Recent Posts