Tikka T3 280 AI project

TexHunt

I am wanting to build an all around rifle for Deer to Elk, I have a very good shooting 300 WSM and would like something a bit lighter to carry with better managed recoil. I would like to keep the gun light to carry, but still capable of a 500 yard shot, if conditions allowed. I backpack hunt out west, and looking for something that is a good happy medium with weight and functionality.

I have a Tikka T3 that I am think about using for a donor action and wanted to get the experts opinion on my plan.

The gun is chambered in 25-06, so standard bolt face.

These are my Questions:

Is the Action worth spending the money to re-barrel and have blue printed?
Pac-Nor barrel - Unsure of the barrel size #2 to #4? Fluted or non? 24 or 26"
Stock - McMillan Mountain
Caliber - 280 AI - for the long action standard bolt, feel this is the best for all around game up to Elk.

I have good optics already on the rifle I plan to stick with. Just want some thoughts as to if this combination has any obvious flaws.

Appreciate the input...

One more question, I have read that the recoil lug on the Tikka is an issue. Any options around correcting this as a part of the build?

Hello TexHunt;
The 280 AI is a great choice. I have considered it myself since I have 3 friends who have had the calibre built into an old 30-06 action.
The cartridge seams to be friendly to all sorts of powders and has surprised us with some unexpected high performance.
My one pal Mike has a 25 inch barrel with the last inch ported. It seems to be just enough to settle the rifle down and his 150 grain Combined Technology Silvertips are coming out of his barrel at 3010 pushed by 61 grains of RL22 and a Remington match primer.

I found a source for steel recoil lugs for the Tikka action and have included it below. I think it will be an improvement from the aluminum factory piece.

Kinetic Research Group, ltd (KRG)
www.KRG-OPS.com
www.kineticresearchgroup.com

Check out tikka shooter.com and reodale precsion for tikka parts B&C and manners make good stocks. A manners MCST ultralight sounds great along with a rem style recoil lug eliminates the need for the propritary action mounting system.

I think the 280AI sound like a good choice

Thanks Dirty, I looked on their website and didn't see the recoil lug. I will give them a call next week to get more information.

I really hadn't considered just making the original stock work, but would this be an option? Replace the lug, maybe bed the action? I want this to be a functional gun, not worried about it looking shiney and new so if I can get the accuracy out of what I have, not opposed to doing it. This stock is light and compact, which is what I am wanting.

Anyone out there tried to improve the Tikka stock with any success?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts