Tikka recoil lug

I'm not sure if the T3's are the same as their predecessor, the Tikka 595 but the 595 fall-free, L bracket looking, recoil lug can be bedded.

Mike Bryant of Wheeler Texas bedded my recoil lug permanently into the stock. The barreled action could easily be removed while leaving the lug secured in the bedding compound. It looks odd but my factory Tikka frequently shot .5 moa @ 200 yds once it was bedded in this manner.

You're stuck with it in the stock unless you want to TIG weld it onto the action, and then bed the rifle in the stock like any other standard action. This was discussed on this forum about 12 months ago and I think you'll find it with a search. No one said they had done this yet but this is what one gunsmith said he would do with a Tikka lug.

I'm no gunsmith, but here's my 2cents anyway.

Bedding the lug into the stock seems like a good option, as long as the gunsmith is satisfied with the snug fit of the action to the lug. It it's too loose, then the gunsmith could mill out another lug with tigher fit and then bed that into the stock.

All this assumes that an aftermarket (laminate/wood?) stock will be used.

I wouldn't think the factory tikka stocks should require bedding. Its been my experience that the fit is very tight.

I've got a T-3 also, 243 considering a change to .260, and was wondering the same thing. Thanks.

Now, how to manage the removable magazine and bottom metal, if using an aftermarket stock on a T-3??? There's a head-scratcher alright....

I have a tikka T3 270 WSM, and the loose recoil lug has me scratching my head too. After 5 boxes of ammo, the lug, which appears to be aluminum, has very deep scarring where it engages the action. I have read at least a hundred posts on a dozen different forums, and it seems that no one feels particularly confident about an answer. Without any work done yet, the gun shoots very accurately, so perhaps it's as the little clock says, "if it's not broke, don't fix it"

my 300wsm's recoil lug is badly dented too, but it still seams to shoot. I'm considering having a machinist make me one out of stainless steel to replace it.

I just spoke with a guy who has a T3 and experienced the same denting after about 300 rounds. The factory recoil lug is aluminum so he made a duplicate out of steel and hasn't had any issues since. Just thought I'd pass it along.

If your rebarreling your action you can have them install a rem style regoil lug if its a t3. Manners makes a stock for them and so does mcmillan. More options than people think. You can also have your smith make a integrated front pillar and recessed recoil lug instead of the L lug. That's what I'm doing on my tikka 595.

If your rebarreling your action you can have them install a rem style regoil lug if its a t3. Manners makes a stock for them and so does mcmillan. More options than people think. You can also have your smith make a integrated front pillar and recessed recoil lug instead of the L lug. That's what I'm doing on my tikka 595.

Manners makes a tactical stock to fit the t3 lite but not a hunter stock. ( I just spoke with them). And assuming someone installs a rem type recoil lug, then I also assume they'd then have to get a stock for a remington because the lug would be forward of the existing recoil lug slot on the factory stock.

I am having my t3 rebarreled as we speak. I wished I had thought about a replacement recoil lug prior to my order. The order is underway now so it's too late to change.

Install a remington recoil lug and mill the factory stock (if you want to keep it) to accept the recoil lug and bed the action/lug in.

Manners makes a tactical stock to fit the t3 lite but not a hunter stock. ( I just spoke with them). And assuming someone installs a rem type recoil lug, then I also assume they'd then have to get a stock for a remington because the lug would be forward of the existing recoil lug slot on the factory stock.

I am having my t3 rebarreled as we speak. I wished I had thought about a replacement recoil lug prior to my order. The order is underway now so it's too late to change.

That's where your wrong. Its very easy. All you do is tell manners or mcmillan that you want a rem style lug and they inlet for that and don't inlet for the L shaped stock lug. A remington and tikka action are night and day different. Manners will make most of there stocks for a tikka but they have to build up the rear tang and after they do that you can only get a painted finish. They charge an extra $55 for the service. With mcmillan they will do any of there sako stocks (not the ones labeled sako 75 but the other sako stocks, sako hunter, sako varmint etc) and their A3 stock. The mcmillan sako hunter stock sounds like a better fit for you. I'm getting a sako hunter stock in the molded in color for a tikka 595 in left hand as we speak. Should be here in aug. I wanna build a t3 left hand in 7mm lrm next. Don't know what stock I wanna use yet.

You should call your gunsmith on the rem recoil lug. Its pretty easy for them to do even after your barrel is done and installed. Its not a hard process.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.