Tikka Prefit Dimensions

jsmitt6

I'm looking to have my machinist buddy chamber a barrel for me this weekend. On the factory barrel I measured .1355" go gauge protrusion. Can I use that measurement as a guideline for a different cartridge?

Basically, will each cartridge have the same go gauge protrusion or does it vary between cartridges?

Obviously I will check with the barrel torqued to the receiver with a go and no go gauge. I'm just curious if the go gauge protrusion is the same among differing cartridges so I can minimize how many times we put the action on and off.

Last edited:
I am NOT a GUNSMITH. I'm an idiot.

Now that we got that out of the way. I would think that the relationship between barrel cheek at the tenon, and the distance from the bolt face to the action's barrel mating surface would determine the chamber measurements to the various datum's on the drawings. I don't say this as an answer, I say this hoping for experienced input, as I'm looking to re-chamber a tikka myself. I think yours is probably a simple way to do it, but I would imagine knowing the actual measurement of the bolt-face in relation to the barrel tenon would be the real key to ensuring headspace accuracy.

I know tikka's dimensions arent published widely, but if someone had dimensions on the action, the tenon and the relationship between the two...I'd be keen to know that. The consistency of the tikka product is awesome and I'm sure those dimensions would be reliable across their actions in general.

Here are the dimensions from a factory barrel:

Factory take off barrel measures as follows:

Tenon length .985
Go gauge protrusion .135-.136
1"-16tpi major diameter .995
Pitch diameter .956

There will always be some tiny variances with regard to tenon and headspace dimensions.

You really should get an experienced gunsmith to handle this as you know nothing and could get in a little trouble. Machinists are great but they aren't gunsmiths.

:)

Here are the dimensions from a factory barrel:

Factory take off barrel measures as follows:

Tenon length .985
Go gauge protrusion .135-.136
1"-16tpi major diameter .995
Pitch diameter .956

There will always be some tiny variances with regard to tenon and headspace dimensions.

You really should get an experienced gunsmith to handle this as you know nothing and could get in a little trouble. Machinists are great but they aren't gunsmiths.

:)
Is that on a tikka t3x barrel?