Tikka Carbon Ring Question

Sure looks like it. As others have suggested, let a patch soaked with your preferred carbon remover sit in there for a while and then hit it with an oversized bronze brush in a drill motor. Should come out clean as a whistle.
YUP,. THIS ^^^ I use BoreTech Eliminator with, an Hour's,.. "Soak".
I "Break-in" ( Polish my Tikka Throats / Rifling Land edges ) on ALL of, My New Tikka's with, 10-12 Stokes of JB's on, a Patch, over, a Bronze Brush, Pushed,.. ONE Way ! Then, Clean thoroughly,.. TWICE !
I Do THIS, on ALL New, production, ( Factory made, Rifles ) that, I buy.
The Barrel Shines Like, Chrome and hardly EVER,.. a Carbon ring or, Coppering "Mess" !

Last edited:
Any other theories on what this band might be? Stain? No way that's carbon cause I've hammered it hard and zero change.
Not sure which bore scope you are using but that single, persistent dark ring may be a shadow. See if you can look at it from a different angle by going through the muzzle. One of my rifles will look like this from one direction and then when viewed from a different perspective, it's the step at the end of the chamber. If it is carbon, you can use a little carbon remover on a patch and let it sit in that area for a day

I did Iosso nylon brush with JB Bore Paste after soaking Butch's Bore Shine. That must be some sort of stain or discoloration in the metal forging or something. Absolutely nothing touches it. I'm done. Chamber and bore otherwise look like glass and gun will probably shoot terrible for 40 rounds lol

Putting the bore scope away and will add chamber cleaning to my regimen to prevent carbon ring.

IMG_0334.jpeg

Not sure which bore scope you are using but that single, persistent dark ring may be a shadow. See if you can look at it from a different angle by going through the muzzle. One of my rifles will look like this from one direction and then when viewed from a different perspective, it's the step at the end of the chamber. If it is carbon, you can use a little carbon remover on a patch and let it sit in that area for a day
I've found the same to be true as well. Takes some getting used to, to understand what you're looking at. It's a digital representation, not a true optical image you see.

I too, have found that sometimes if I put the scope in from the muzzle, the lighting changes and I see that what I thought was carbon is really just a shadow. One thing I have noticed is that carbon will usually have imperfections (like a jagged edge or section missing that reveals barrel steel) that give it away rather than a clean crisp line that a shadow produces.