Possible carbon ring. Help interpret.

I went out and shot 6 rounds of the same load that was giving me pressure signs and poor accuracy before the cleaning of the throat area. No pressure signs ES of 8 for the last 4 shots a group of just over .5 moa with the magneto speed attached. However it is averaging 27 fps slower than when I worked up the load. I will load somemore up and go test the load to see if it is shooting as good as before. Thanks for the replies.
Jon
Hey Jon, this is perfectly normal. Anytime you have the carbon build up like you had, the bore is actually choked down, which in return creates more pressure. Before getting my borescope years ago, I started sticking bullets in my chamber when trying to open the bolt on a unfired round. A friend that was already familiar with the carbon ring issue told me that the ring was grabbing the bullet and pulling it out of the case as it was being extracted. I told him that I had spent hours cleaning the chamber, and there was no way there was carbon in the throat. Long story short.... I was completely wrong, and that is when I invested in the bore scope. If anyone has experienced a change in accuracy after a proper carbon cleaning, it can often times be recovered with a slightly higher powder charge, and or, a longer bullet seating depth. Hope this makes since.

Tony.

is a carbon ring you all are talking about, just in general, something that can be seen with the naked eye or does it take a borescope to see it?

Thanks for the info on powder charge Tony. I went and shot it today and accuracy at 200 yards was around 3/4 moa so I may up the charge in small steps to see if I can get it shooting like it was.
Jon

Thanks for the info on powder charge Tony. I went and shot it today and accuracy at 200 yards was around 3/4 moa so I may up the charge in small steps to see if I can get it shooting like it was.
Jon

You're welcome. After you optimize powder charge, don't be afraid to adjust seating depth 1 thousandth at a time.

Tony.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.