Carbon ring on belted mag

Edited;

Alright so I tried a couple of all three and still had issues. I tried a couple of factory options, one extracted with no issues and one gave me a sticky bolt and a flat primers. Both Federal Premium options, the 168gr Bergers extracted just fine but the 140gr Trophy Bonded Tip version gave me a sticky bolt, so I looked for pressure signs and yup, flattened primers as you can see on the attached picture.

20210321_111238(1).jpg

Now the full size reloads did extract but not as smooth as usual and these were light loads I tested.

The neck size reloads did get stuck so for sure now its a sizing issue.

Ordering the Larry Willis collet die so that'll fix the issue.

Thank you all for your help again and stay safe.

EDIT:

Forgot to emphasise that the factory Trophy Bonded Tip was my first ever factory loading that gave me pressure issues.

Thanks again all

Last edited:
Update:

It took me a while to be able to work on this issue again, until two weeks ago and now I got the rifle working again.

Problem:
I measured the brass at just above the belt, and was a little over sized still after running it through the full size die.

Solution:
In this case, I used the same RCBS Full Size die as before (forgot to order the collet die), but this time, once it made contact with the shell holder I turned the die another 1.5 turns and ran the brass through the dies twice in a row. This resized the brass again to specs and once loaded and fired there were no more extraction issues.

On the factory ammo that kept getting stuck, I pulled the bullets and will reload the brass and use the bullets for barrel fowling.

Thanks again everyone for all the help and God bless

Luis

Happy to hear you have it sorted.
Was testing another new 300WM last weekend and was pleasantly surprised to have a factory Rem 700 rifle that doesn't crater primers. In fact my new Rem 700 SPS in 300 RUM doesn't crater primers either.
My SPS in 7-08 for the wife does, but it is mild in comparison to a few other Rem rifles I have.

Cheers.