Tikka barrel Removal - not smooth as could be, now what?

orchemo

Using a barrel vise and Wheeler action wrench, the first action/ barrel came apart fine.

The second rifle/action was a 300 WM.

T3 gun. The barrel was tight. Finally after lots of work, it came off.

The threads in the end of the barrel and initial threads of the action don't look very good.

Not sure how the threads could have been damaged "removing " the barrel. Was it a factory installation problem?

Regardless, the initial action threads appear damaged. Now what?

Attachments

• IMG_1295.jpeg
    IMG_1295.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_1297.jpeg
    IMG_1297.jpeg
    283.6 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1298.jpeg
    IMG_1298.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1296.jpeg
    IMG_1296.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 168
That appears to be galled. I hope you weren't planning on screwing a pre fit on that action. I'm sure someone can chime in that's smarter than me or had to deal with this before, but I think a smith should be able to clean up the threads. May have to cut them larger but then a prefix won't work.
That sucks. Sorry you had to deal with that.

I agree. It looks effed up. Needs to be fixed by a GS. I'd try to have it re-barreled by the same smith, something that isn't going to burn up a barrel and leave it that way. It looks like that just turned into an expensive project.

I wouldn't be able to sell that to anyone with a good conscience.

Last edited:
The barrel was secured in a barrel vise.
The action was secured in the Wheeler action tool with nuts torqued to 80 lbs. as the action started to unscrew, we loosened the torque on the Wheeler tool so it was tight but not impeding or crushing the action onto the barrel.

Did not pre-soak barrel in penetrating oil

Looking at the barrel, it is the initial threads that are affected. Looks more like there was an issue when the barrel was initially threaded into the action at the factory?

Will order a tap and try to clean the threads on the action.

The barrel was secured in a barrel vise.
The action was secured in the Wheeler action tool with nuts torqued to 80 lbs. as the action started to unscrew, we loosened the torque on the Wheeler tool so it was tight but not impeding or crushing the action onto the barrel.

Did not pre-soak barrel in penetrating oil

Looking at the barrel, it is the initial threads that are affected. Looks more like there was an issue when the barrel was initially threaded into the action at the factory?

Will order a tap and try to clean the threads on the action.
Crap. Disappointing. Good luck with the rethread. Let us know how it goes.

Even if you are able to clean up those threads, I think you're going to reduce your bearing surface to the point I wouldn't trust it. This is where I would enlist the help of a qualified GS or machinists. Get a quote and see if the cost is justifiable.

If you do try to re-thread, I would make an extension and start chasing threads from the chamber side. There is no way your new threads will line up with the threads that are in tact if you start your tap on the damaged threads.

Looks like you'll need to go .030 oversize minimum on the thread tenon after single point threading the receiver to get some sort of cleanup. The spec calls for 75% thread nominal. It could be 60-75% cleanup and still function.
So a good gunsmith can do a bit of math to see where it lands on sufficient cleanup.
Worth a try.
Edit to add: don't attempt to tap it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240225-094554_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20240225-094554_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 16
I'd say the threads had to be damaged on removal. The barrel threads are damaged on the end of the barrel which wouldn't line up with where the action threads are damaged when screwed on. Can't picture how it could have been damaged on the first half of screwing the barrel on, the magically quit galling without ruining the entire threads in the action. Not sure how else this would occur? Either way, I agree, doesn't look like a tap is gonna be enough.