Tikka 7mm08 Conversion Considerations

Yakcountry

Thought I'd throw this out there and get some opinions. I've got a Tikka 7mm-08 (specs below) and I'm trying to determine if I can save some money and recaliber it or if it makes more sense to just buy a new Tikka in a different caliber. I've got a tight budget, so that'll be the ultimate determining factor and I obviously know how much a new rifle would cost me, but never done any kind of conversions on my firearms.

I'm finding that I'm running out of velocity with my 7-08 at longer ranges for elk sized critters and would like to improve the velocity, but stay in the 7mm or greater caliber. I'm considering 280AI, 7SAUM, 7PRC if I convert my existing Tikka. I handload so factory ammo isn't a consideration and I'm pretty handy and sure I could do a lot of the work myself.

So here are my questions:
  • What are the MINIMUM components I'd need to recaliber my Tikka 7-08?
    • I assume barrel and bolt face at a minimum?
    • Do I need to replace the stock with a new barrel or can I reuse the Tikka factory stock?
    • What components (barrel, etc.) would you recommend for low cost in mind?
    • What am I missing?

Capacity3+1
Barrel Length20in
Lop12.5in
FinishBlued
StockRecoil Pad
SightsDrilled & Tapped For Scope Base
Weight5.9lbs
ActionBolt Action
Cartridge7mm-08 Remington
ColorBlack
HandRight
Overall Length39.4in
Stock MaterialSynthetic
Twist1:9.5in
TypeCenterfire
CompactYes

I think a cost effective route would be to rebarrel to 280AI and change the bolt stop and magazine. If it's shoots good and you like the factory stock then you're done. A cheap stock option would be a B&C. I have one on a Tikka 300wsm and it shoots great. Certainly can go CF stock and barrel but obviously for more $. BTW I'd be interested in the 7-08 barrel if you end up selling it.

For the absolute most "bang for the buck", I think @Sockeye66 is right about the 280AI. Did a brief search for Tikka bolt heads, and it doesn't seem like that's an easy/cheap thing to source. Of course a smith could open it up, and/or source one probably, but no idea on cost.

I'd look at X-caliber for a barrel. Sign up for an account, and you'll get an email heads up around every major holiday for 15%-25% off sales. You can get a good barrel to your door for around $450 dollars. I've got a couple Savage prefits (264 Win, 7 Rem Mag), and they shoot good, stay clean, and have good fit/finish.

That said, if you pay $450 for a barrel, another $125 for mag and bolt stop, you're only $300-$400 below a new rifle in the caliber of your choice. You could almost certainly sell the 7-08 for more than that if it's in good condition...

I didn't see any range limitations list by the OP, that would help. At this point even a barrel swap for a faster twist and longer 7-08 would work. He could seat out bullets (175-180) long with existing action and probably get close to or above 2700 fps. I'd consider a 7-08 1-8 twist 26" barrel. Of course a 284 win, 280 rem, 280 AI would all work too.

I would stick with the 7-08. What velocity are you seeking?
I'd like to get to around 2900fps MV with a ~150+ grain bullet weight for 600-800yd cross-canyon shots on elk. I'm seeing about 2700-2750 out of my short barrel Tikka with 150gr ELDX.

I'm not very interested in doing a barrel swap and keeping it as a 7-08. Some folks love the caliber, but I'm not partial to it and more interested in tinkering with something different.

284, or better yet, 284 Shehane. It has a 308 bolt face, and fits a Tikka length mag. I use the Hells Canyon WSM magazine, modified for slightly longer Shehane. 3000fps with a 168vld out of a 26" barrel(9 twist) with H4350. 140gr vlds@3250+, 175's@2950. Lapua brass.
Tikkas are a little on the short side for "long action" cartridges, so be aware that you may need to be cautious with seating depth.
I think the 7PRC is going to be very popular, but a little long for anything but a long action. I ordered my reamer with a shorter freebore than standard(can always throat it out).
280ai is a very popular cartridge, just hard finding good brass, but has the advantage of factory ammo.

Third for the 284 Win or Shehane. It was well ahead of its time when introduced in 1963. If today's components were available then, the 284 would have taken off so much sooner than it did.

Third for the 284 Win or Shehane. It was well ahead of its time when introduced in 1963. If today's components were available then, the 284 would have taken off so much sooner than it did.
And if it was offered in a bolt action. Its downfall was the guns it was chambered in(model 100 autoloader and a lever action). I feel it it just about perfect for anything up to elk. Load it light for 7-08 power or heat it up for saum/rem mag performance.

I think you be better off either keeping your 7mm-08 and getting a second rifle for your intended use, or selling the 7mm-08 and putting the money towards a different caliber rifle that gives the added functionality of your needs…by the time you get done re-chambering/customizing what you have, you'll still only have that 1 rifle, and with the added cost and trying to make it all work, would've been more economical just to sell it and start over.

Everyone talks about these extreme long range (600-800 yard) hunting shots, but imo very few can ethically take a single shot on game at that distance with success. It's fun to target shoot long range like that, but in my 25+ years of hunting, I can't think of a time that I couldn't close distance to get a better shot (closer range) when spotting game that far out. My furthest shot on game with a rifle was 300 yards (and I probably could've still pushed it a bit closer if I had known they were going to stay on the fringe of the tree line). I've successfully harvested plenty of animals over the years with rifle and bow. That to me is where hunting skill and planning approach comes in. I've ranged small coues white tail out at 1000+ yards, and closed to be within bow range…guess I should have given up since my bow can't shoot 600 yards. 😏