TIGHTEN PRIMER POCKETS, here's how.

Started using this method since this thread started 7-8 yrs ago and have not had one failed PP incident. I am up to as much as 10 firings beyond since tightening up pockets. I'll take 3-500 rounds per rifle out on a multi day prairie dog shoot so I ain't talking about just a few brass.

I really appreciate the OP and all the added input from various people. This has been one of the few threads on this forum that has saved me tons of money rather than costing me tons 🥴
You may have tightened up more primer pockets than I. With that substantial experience, thanks for sharing your results. More confirmation the associated risk is roughly equivalent to that posed by the boogyman.

You may have tightened up more primer pockets than I. With that substantial experience, thanks for sharing your results. More confirmation the associated risk is roughly equivalent to that posed by the boogyman.
I am anal on brass prep and it takes a considerable amount of time. If I can extend PP life it is not only a cost but extensive time savings.
I will say that I have found way more "new" brass out of spec than any that I have prepped and fire formed. In other words in my opinion: If you are not fully inspecting new brass you have a much higher % of a brass failure than you do tightening PP and that % is about the same as a chance of getting hit by lightening.
This is just my experience- you make your own decisions- Carry on.

Yes, I have. What I will tell you is that, it's not a matter of if they'll leak, it's when they'll leak. It's your action and bolt face, your bullets, powder and primers. Do as you wish. Myself, I prefer to spend a few bucks on brass rather then tear up a bolt to a $500-$1200 action, or worse.
Do you even have an inkling how much 50K-60K psi is right in front of your face? Like I said, do as you wish.
^^^^ Nailed it
I dont ream pocket crimps because I dont like to remove brass from the case head so I swage it back where it came from. Well said RS
We have seen reports of primers blowing in the unsupported corner. Winchester had an entire lot that did this. We also have many shooters pushing pressures to the point of brass flow into ejectors which suggests pressures of 70-75000 psi.

Last edited:
^^^^ Nailed it
I dont ream pocket crimps because I dont like to remove brass from the case head so I swage it back where it came from. Well said RS
We have seen reports of primers blowing in the unsupported corner. Winchester had an entire lot that did this. We also have many shooters pushing pressures to the point of brass flow into ejectors which suggests pressures of 70-75000 psi.
Where are the reports in this thread, about primers blowing because individuals tightened up primer pockets using the methods described herein? Can you reference (by link) any more pertinent threads than this one, on this or any other Forum, where tightening of primer pockets caused primers to blow in the unsupported corner?

How does a defective lot of Winchester primers demonstrate tightening primer pockets is inherently dangerous? Did the Winchester primers only blow in cartridge casings that had their primer pockets tightened using methods described in this Thread? If so, can you provide a link to those examples?

We've got plenty of evidence supporting a conclusion that tightening primer pockets doesn't cause catastrophic primer failure. So far, in almost 9 years since this Thread started, I see no empirical evidence suggesting otherwise. Only theories suggesting inherent danger.

We have seen reports of primers blowing in the unsupported corner....
Reports?
1705550752257.png

Just google winchester blown primers and your wait is over. Make an effort
Oh yes sir, I did, I was just wondering what bringing into this conversation a short run of faulty manufactured lot of primers made 10 years ago has to do with what people are successfully doing here today by essentially making their own crimp. I don't think anyone is condoning anything others are accusing others of doing. Doesn't it sound like this has solved a couple possible issues of premature case head expansion due to possibly incorrectly manufactured brass? I know I have $5,000 worth of Sherman Short Mag chambered Proof and Bartlein carbon fiber barrels that resulted in over expanded primer pockets, not because I'm running 70,000+ psi chamber pressure, but because a brass manufacturer couldn't build brass correctly to a chamber dimension; pretty sure this isn't the first time it's happened. This process works beautifully in this example, and frankly I'm not sure how this is so wildly different than the crimp found in 5.56 cases.

Last edited:
@Fenix Outdoors I'd like to compare some notes with you but you haven't had enough messages on the forum to send you a pm.

I don't want to muddy this thread up.

Hopefully you get privileges soon to talk. In the mean time I'll tell you I have two 300ss and that is a hot load.
@Idaho Trecker tried to message you on your profile page to discuss SS data, but it looks like your profile is set to private. Not sure how long it takes to get privileges but I'd love the opportunity to talk shop.

Rather than buying balls to chase and lose across the floor, I ended up just using the rounded end of my ball peen hammers I bought off Amazon. Locks into the vice and doesn't move. This is the set I have, three sizes, 3/8", 1/2", and 5/8". Hope this helps others out cuz chasing that ball around the room every strike sounded dumb.